GOG version of Descent 1 into D2X-XL

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

GOG version of Descent 1 into D2X-XL

Post by Tunnelcat »

I already have a build of D2X-Xl with Descent 2. I just bought a copy of D1 off of GOG since it was on sale. I'd like to copy the proper D1 files into D2X-XL build in order to play D1. Which files are needed and where should they be placed?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: GOG version of Descent 1 into D2X-XL

Post by LightWolf »

You put DESCENT.HOG and DESCENT.PIG into the data folder IIRC.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Essentially the same as D2. How about the couple of .DEM files? I don't see any .MOV files though.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Got it working. I'd love to have some sort of cockpit view. Is there a way to do that. I already downloaded and installed all the D1 high res textures.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Try F3.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Doh, forgot my Descent keys. However, ever since turning on the cockpit, I've now got graphical issues that won't resolve. There are now bars at the top and bottom of the screen, 2560X1440, that are either black, or combinations of textures from the walls. Those weren't there before I ever hit the F3 key. In the cockpit, any flash or explosion will turn the cockpit displays whatever color the explosion was until I hit escape. Fire the fusion cannon and the displays go from black to purple. Same with the bars along the top and bottom. I've got a couple of .tga screenshots, but I have no way to convert them into .jpg to show what I mean. The problem has now affected D2 as well. I've still got build 1.16.14. Time to renew the build to the final version? :frown:
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

The final version's been pretty stable for me, and I've never had that issue in it playing either D1 or D2.
Definitely worth a go IMO.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Went ahead and built the newest version. All I can say is: OH MY GOD! I should've done this sooner. It's beautiful. Works good so far. Played it a bit before I realized I'd forgotten to add all the hi-res sounds. I'll try it tomorrow. I've already wasted the whole evening.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

lawl
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

You'll have to admit, he's done a good job modifying and improving Descent without taking away from the original theme and structure, making it look fantastic and very playable on modern machines. It's now a piece of video game art, which I will keep on returning to for robot killing entertainment, even though Overload is out right now. There's just something magical about Descent, even though it's an old game.