Loud snap sound from voltage regulator/stabilizer?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Loud snap sound from voltage regulator/stabilizer?

Post by Pumo »

So I got this weird experience.

I was using my computer while listening to music on a more or less powerful stereo.

Although I'm not completely sure due to the loud music, I think I heard some loud snap suddenly, but not completely sure if it came from the voltage regulator where I got my equipment connected or from somewhere else.

Anyway, supposing that the loud snapping sound came from the regulator, everything (both the computer and the stereo) has been working without issues for hours after it, even now as I'm typing this.
On the regulator I just have connected my computer (600w PSU) and its 2 monitors, the stereo (a Panasonic one that supposedly consumes around 155w on loud use) and a small home router.
The regulator is said to have a 2000w capacity.

The regulator is not even that hot, and after the snap I went to check it out, and it was everything on, it didn't turn off or anything.
It has that slight buzzing sound coming from it (as normal?).

If this clicking/snapping sound came from the regulator, could it be due to a fuse problem?
Can a regulator keep working apparently without issues even if a fuse blows out, or it would have turned itself off automatically or not working at all?
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Loud snap sound from voltage regulator/stabilizer?

Post by Pumo »

Sorry for the bump and double posting, but there's no word about this?

I've also asked this on other communities and I didn't got any reply (perhaps this is not a serious problem after all?).
Note that yesterday I used the computer and my stereo connected to the regulator for about 4 hours almoust straight, and I had no issues, everything is working fine, although I used slightly less volume on the stereo (didn't feel like listening that louder this time).

In fact, perhaps it's some weird thought of mine, but after said snapping sound, I felt as if everything started to run more stable.
(tested prime95 while playing Overload on my computer, listening to music on my stereo, 0 issues)

The regulator was bought very recently. Could it be that regulators need to 'heat up' and that's why it worked better after that sound?
Or I'm saying completely stupid non-sensical things? :lol: :?
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

It is impossible to diagnose unless you are an electrical engineer with a boatload of testing equipement. It could be some transient thing, or your amp or regulator blew a MOSFET, could be something arced or otherwise a spark jumped a gap while switching. The major component in voltage regulators is a big transformer coil, if you had a surge above the breakdown voltage it could have jumped the gap between the coil winding and let out a pop. Or any one of a million other things, basically you won't know what caused it till something actually lets out blue smoke (or burns your house down).

One thing you can probably check or at least would be wise to check, is to make sure the output of the voltage regulator is still working correctly. If a winding burned out from a surge the unit could be operating without the correct number of windings which would cause it to output the wrong voltage all the time.

Of course if it blew a winding, it would also depend on what winding it blew because voltage regulators don't use all of them all the time, it could be that it just won't regulate above a specific voltage range and will instead just pass the current directly when it crosses that threshold because all the windings above that one would be shorted out.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Ok, will check with a voltmeter when I arrive home.
Note that when the snap happened there was not any visible flashing light, spark nor smoke or anything coming out from the regulator or the stereo amp.

Also, as another side note, the volume on the stereo on that time was barely beyond half, I never ever have used it at full volume.