Good all-time singleplayer missions?

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Good all-time singleplayer missions?

Post by LightWolf »

Someone I know may be getting Descent soon. I wanna make sure he get's his money's worth, so I wanna give him a ZIP with a handful of good missions. I know I'm gonna include Vignettes, and I'm probably going to include Orion since it's a classic. Any other recommendations?
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: Good all-time singleplayer missions?

Post by Alter-Fox »

You know, I never much liked the overall aesthetic of Orion Nebula or the GELD packs... I get what they were going for but it just doesn't do it for me compared to the kinda more abstract First Strike designs or even something like Phobos Encounter. That's all well and good, one opinion is worth just as much as another, but I wonder how much of it is that I came to those missions many years later than those folks for whom they're classics.
I would definitely recommend Parabolicus's Cererian Expedition for D1 though. And one of the folks who was involved in Project Mandrill (though not as a level designer) way back when is going to be releasing a few of his old D1 maps sometime soon, from what I've seen he's taking some more unusual gameplay/flow concepts sort of like Orion did but with a geometry style that works better at least for people who are me. Whenever that comes it will probably be fun.

There's also Project Hydro for D2 which has kinda got its own style and some custom enemies to fight that actually change up the game a bit. The geometry might be a little more rudimentary than some of the stuff Pumo's mentioned but the gameplay is challenging while still very well-balanced. I actually wanted to give that one a replay sometime soon, once I can find a few good songs for it... neither the D2 midis or CD tracks really seemed to work for most of its levels. Maybe the soundtrack feeling a little bit off had something to do with its lukewarm reception?
Belial System was also a cool one in a similar vein. There are two versions with significant changes to the level designs; IIRC only one of them is D2X-XL only. Both are very much worth playing.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

There's a brand new one for D2 as well.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Oh, you mean Ulterior Ultima Thule?
Haven't got the time to play it yet, hopefully I can give it a go during the weekend.

It looks pretty nice!
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

Pumo wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:04 am Oh, you mean Ulterior Ultima Thule?
Haven't got the time to play it yet, hopefully I can give it a go during the weekend.

It looks pretty nice!
Yeah...that one. Just had forgot the spelling lol, sorry. Cererian Expedition should be in the D1 list, IMO. Wasn't too impressed by Revenge O' Dravis otoh.

For D2: I think the first three on your list aged best. Plus Lost Levels and Enemy Vignette (Naphtha's Vignettes remaster).
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Not too fond of Bahagad Outbreak or Lost Levels myself, but they each got their fans, I guess.
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

Bahagad I agree about, Lost Levels has a few quirks but really still most levels are pretty well designed and a lot of fun to play, IMO. Better with NO weapons mod, but it's easy to delete from the hog. I'm doing it on my YouTube channel (kakhome1) in fact!
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Man, people just really hate that weapons pack I made. Just can't get no love for it! XD I remember spending so many hours on it just making sure it all freaking worked.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Wasn't it one of the earliest weapon mods though?

It's good, but its only real drawback IMO is that it could use some balancing tweaks.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kakhome1 »

Sorry DFW...the weapon ideas themselves I generally if not universally like, but particularly many of the primaries are overpowered IMO. Like the missile launcher and homing red energy thing (even with that not being that powerful a weapon damage wise). OTOH what LL unmodded does do is make the stock D2 weapons feel more in balance compared to the original or most older custom missions!