GIMP Palette Question

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
TSXMike
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

GIMP Palette Question

Post by TSXMike »

Hey guys,

GIMP works just fine for my texture mods, but I just noticed that my groupa palette in GIMP has the same green for 2 color slots. Its the brightest green (indexes 140 and 141). GIMP does not differentiate between them. Say a BMP has index 140 as some pixel. If I change it to 141, the color selector tool in GIMP may still think its index 140 - and vice versa. Its not a problem, but I'm wondering if I've imported the palette correctly. To attempt to fix this, I re-imported the groupa palette, but it didn't change anything.

Let me check if I'm doing this correctly: when importing a D2 palette into GIMP, here's what I do:
1) Right-click on the palette list in GIMP,
2) Select "Import Palette" from the context menu that appears,
3) In that dialog box, I click the "Image" radio button (circular button),
4) This uses the colors in the BMP texture that I have currently loaded into GIMP

From there, does GIMP now have ALL the colors in the groupa palette? Or does it only have the colors in that specific texture that is loaded? Or am I instead supposed to load the PIG file into GIMP somehow?

Thanks...
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: GIMP Palette Question

Post by vision »

TSXMike wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:47 pmOr does it only have the colors in that specific texture that is loaded?
You only have the colors of that texture. I don't know of a way to import the entire D2 palette. You might want to ask over at the Rebirth site. I've looked through the code, but didn't see anything that was obvious palette data.
Arne
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Arne »

I'm not sure if it helps but I've converted the D2 palettes to GIMP Palette (.gpl) files. You can use those with Import palette..., Palette file.
Attachments
d2-gimp-palette.zip
(8.26 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
TSXMike
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TSXMike »

Thanks guys, I was suspicious that it only used the colors in the specific texture. I noticed it does this with a lot of the grays and browns too. I downloaded the zip Arne - I'll experiment with it... thanks