DXX-Rebirth Randomizer

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

DXX-Rebirth Randomizer

Post by LightWolf »

Over the past while, I have been putting together this little project. I think it's ready for a first official release.

DXX-Rebirth Randomizer v0.2.0

To use, simply drop the EXE over an existing DXX-R installation.

It randomly shuffles the location of every object as well as the data of each matcen in a given mine, though it does not alter the actual data in any way. (You won't be seeing any Fusion Hulks in the moon levels. ;) ) It also makes a handful of changes to the mine to ensure it is always possible to beat a given level:
- All doors are unlocked except exits and secret exits.
- Key doors no longer require their respective keys to open. Keys are now solely for runs focused on collecting all major items (along with hostages).
- The reactor will no longer collide with the player.
- The reactor timer was significantly extended.
- The player gets a few seconds of invulnerability on spawn.

All player spawns (used or not) also have a randomly-chosen item placed over them (either a duplicate of an item already in the mine or from a list of non-progression-breaking items), meaning that there are a few more items in a given mine than normal, and that you always get a free item on spawn.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: DXX-Rebirth Randomizer

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

How do you actually use it? When I drop the randomizer.exe over d1x-rebirth.exe the game opens but the objects are not randomised.
When I open the randomizer itself, it says I am missing certain files.
Apparently I'm missing:
libgcc_s_seh-1.dll
libstdc++-6.dll
libpng16-16.dll
Where can I get these files from? Or is my rebirth version out of date? (0.58.1)
Currently working on Descent: The Countdown Level 22 (Ogep'rgs) (Geometry)
Descent: The Countdown
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
Next level to be done: Level 23 (IO Sulphur Refinery)
The grand collection (Only after Descent: The Countdown)
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note
Any levels I make are free to use (even redesign) and include in any mission set. Just pm me if you going to do so.

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Your rebirth is out of date. You need one of the newer nightly builds.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

Thank you. I've been looking for a good reason to update so this is good.
Currently working on Descent: The Countdown Level 22 (Ogep'rgs) (Geometry)
Descent: The Countdown
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
Next level to be done: Level 23 (IO Sulphur Refinery)
The grand collection (Only after Descent: The Countdown)
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note
Any levels I make are free to use (even redesign) and include in any mission set. Just pm me if you going to do so.

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares
worldoffood
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by worldoffood »

Yooo!! I realize I'm extremely late to this, but I finally got around to trying it out and it's awesome. Very fun idea! Great way to breathe life into the original maps. I've been working my way through on insane with the only rule being I need to *attempt* to rescue all the hostages. It's a good way to still see most of a level since there are no key doors. Was a very smart move to start with 10 lives and the 5 second invulnerability. Especially in the later levels it's very easy to start in a rough spot with lots of missiles from all directions lol. Some of these have taken quite a few attempts, but the challenge is part of the fun imo. Always interesting to see where the reactor ends up, sometimes you find it right away, others it's in that last corner.

I noticed that if you load a save and die, your spawn point will change to somewhere else on the map. Not sure if this was intentional? I've been trying to do maps in one go so it doesn't really matter. 600 seconds for the reactor is also pretty excessive. Unless you're blowing it first thing, no mine in vanilla D1 will take even a fraction of that to get to an exit. I like the sprint to get out in time, but I understand why you wanted to do that since it's random.

Taking keys out of the picture was a good call. Not sure how it would work otherwise, or would at least really limit spawn positions. Also really changes the way to approach levels as nothing is off limits. End up looking for rooms with the most objects lol. Also, secrets are no longer safe!! So used to opening them without even looking. No longer an option.

Any word on a D2 randomizer? :)
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I had considered it, but solid walls pose a major issue in that they are designed to either be obstacles to get around or obstacles to remove, and differentiating between the two is not easy. I suppose I could remove any wall that would ever be removed, but I feel like that's a bit too much of a stretch from removing key locks. Other than that, I could somehow make sure everything is attainable from any given spawn, but this is itself a hard prospect given the myriad ways and puzzles that would lead to this. In short, I have considered it, but IMO Descent 2 is a bit too complex for that, at least for now.
#AllLivesMatter
worldoffood
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by worldoffood »

Oh right, that makes a lot of sense. The descent 2 wall system would complicate things immensely. Just deleting all the walls would really take away from the level design, yeah. Not sure how you would build logic around it. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth