Fan-Level Recommendations

Forum for the new 6dof game in development by the original makers of Descent.
taterboat94
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Fan-Level Recommendations

Post by taterboat94 »

After taking a sizable break from Overload (and Descent stuff in general, for that matter), I decided to revisit this game yesterday, and it’s still a lot of fun. After I play through the campaign again, I’m planning on diving into some of the fan levels on the “overloadmaps” website. Apparently they’re taken directly from submissions on the Overload Discord. Does anyone have experience with some of these levels, and if so, are there some that you could recommend?
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: Fan-Level Recommendations

Post by Alter-Fox »

Both of the DLC packs are made out of fan levels that were entered into a pair of contests and as far as singleplayer content goes they're probably the most extensive fanmade singleplayer missions out there so far. And it's pretty good stuff especially the second one.
(Yes I might not be able to prove I don't have an ulterior motive for recommending those, but I'm also not the only one saying they're good :P)
Beyond that... the two mission packs I played recently that I liked best were "Taking A.I.M." by Krusty and JosheM, and "Operation Antarctica" by Yinut. Very different types of campaigns but both were a lot of fun.

If you're looking for challenge mode or multiplayer maps though, I'm not the right person to ask.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
taterboat94
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by taterboat94 »

Alter-Fox wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:31 pm (Yes I might not be able to prove I don't have an ulterior motive for recommending those, but I'm also not the only one saying they're good :P)
Lol no problem, I was actually planning on buying both DLCs as well. Thanks for the suggestions! And yeah, it's mainly just single-player levels I'm looking for right now, although I may try some challenge maps eventually.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

The DLCs are good packs to find some pretty decent extra challengemaps too. For me that's just something I might jump into once in a month or two if I'm really bored, but there are folks playing that mode almost competitively.
It honestly can be really fun sometimes but the regular singleplayer will be even more. There's a good deal more challenge maps available really because they can double as multiplayer maps, and they're just a lot quicker and easier for certain types of designer to get right.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.