Linux Debian question.

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Linux Debian question.

Post by TigerRaptor »

I've been using Linux Mint for a while now along side Windows 10. Think I'm ready to take off the training wheels and expand my knowledge. Would Debian be the next logical choice?
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Linux Debian question.

Post by vision »

TigerRaptorFX wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:16 pmWould Debian be the next logical choice?
No? I depends on what you want to do. I've been using Mint as my main OS on-and-off for about 10 years. Mint, like all other modern Linux distros, are practically hands-free at this point. Even when I first started using Linux it didn't require a lot "working under the hood." Usually if I had a problem I could follow a forum thread or tutorial, copy/paste some code into the terminal, and be on my way (I did this just yesterday to fix the weather applet, which stopped working. I found the solution, copied a singe command into the terminal, which updated a single line of code in the applet. Done).

What are your goals with Linux? Server administration? Programming? Penetration testing? Using Linux is a fun and sometimes frustrating hobby. You'll always run into a problem that needs fixing!

Rather than just trying out Debian, you should set some goals that seem achievable then do them. For example, simply trying to get certain games to run under Linux is a complete nightmare. You might have success right away or you might spend a couple days messing with your system until your break it and are forced to give up and reinstall the OS from scratch. Other projects might include setting up a server on your home network to act as a file share between Linux/Windows/Android (I've done this, it's super helpful), try and back up files to a remote server, or maybe set up a rudimentary home security system using Linux-based software.

I've gotten fairly competent using Linux by having a nice balance of tinkering with personal projects and reading about Linux, it's history, and how it is similar and different than other operating systems (Yes I know Linux is not an operating system, it's a kernel). It's valuable to learn a bit about the philosophy of UNIX and how a Linux system is organized. You can see this across other popular distros like Arch, CentOS, Suse, and Gentoo. Eventually I took some classes at the community college and that lead me to a job were I could focus on full-stack web development for a couple years; so I got some solid Linux server experience while getting paid which was cool.

The best thing about Linux is that you're never done learning. I still feel like I barely know anything about it.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Since many of plans got canceled this year. Figured I’ll try something a little different for a change.

This mainly for personal use. The short story is a while back I wanted to learn something new. All those discussion about Linux over years caught my attention. So I finally went for it. Did some distro hopping in VM Ware to get a general idea where to start. After trying Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Fedora, and a few others. Mint 11 or 12 was the more reasonable choice for a greenhorn. I’ve had my fair share of obstacles I had to troubleshoot through. Over all Linux has been rewarding in its own way. Here is one example. Recently I fired up a couple of older laptops because of the knowledge I acquired using Mint. Now that Win7 is no longer supported.

What’s your opinion on Linux MX?
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Welcome to the club!
TigerRaptorFX wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:47 pmWhat’s your opinion on Linux MX?
I don't have an opinion on MX. My days of distro hopping are done. I just stick with Debian derivatives because they are the most widely supported. I basically need a stable operating system to run the latest multimedia software (art/music/video creation) so Ubuntu or Mint are fine. I can run basically any desktop environment in them and get to work.

There was a period of time a few years ago I was thinking about getting serious about IT and server security. I had considered switching to Fedora and CentOS to get more familiar with the Red Hat lineage, but I decided I didn't want to make a career out of hardening Linux so I went back to web development.

Speaking of, web development is a great way to learn Linux. Setting up a server, installing a LAMP stack, and making a web-app will get you some good Linux chops. You might even try learning VIM while you're at it!
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

vision wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:23 pm
I don't have an opinion on MX. My days of distro hopping are done. I just stick with Debian derivatives because they are the most widely supported. I basically need a stable operating system to run the latest multimedia software (art/music/video creation) so Ubuntu or Mint are fine. I can run basically any desktop environment in them and get to work.
Fair enough. The reason I asked about MX, it's based off of Debian. I've recently just heard about it. Watched a couple of YouTube videos to get a general idea.

Looks to very popular among the Linux community.
https://distrowatch.com/
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

TigerRaptorFX wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:39 pmLooks to very popular among the Linux community.
https://distrowatch.com/
Distrowatch really just tracks downloads. Every time a new Linux variant is released it surges to the top of the list for a year or so then drops off really fast. Example: Mageia was released in 2011. In 2012 is was listed at #2 on Distrowatch. It lost several ranks per year after that and by 2017 it didn't even break the top 100. The only distros that are continually popular are the big ones: Debian/Ubuntu/Mint, Fedora/CentOS, openSUSE, and it looks like Manjaro is here to stay. That's one I'm curious about and if I ever feel like checking out a new OS it will be that one.

One a side note: I just bought a computer from System76 and it comes with Pop!_OS, which is basically Ubuntu with a few tweaks. I don't know if I'll keep it. Really, I feel like all the different Linux variants are basically the same under the hood, provided they follow the UNIX philosophy. What's most important for me as a desktop user is the Desktop Environment and WIndow Manager. The GUI needs to stay out of my way and respond quickly to keyboard commands. MATE has been my favorite DE since it came out. It's basically a fork of Gnome 2. XFCE was the other one I used a lot. Some people don't like them because they are like "Windows" but I don't see how that's a bad thing. Windows does some stuff really well.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

vision wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:28 pm Distrowatch really just tracks downloads. Every time a new Linux variant is released it surges to the top of the list for a year or so then drops off really fast. Example: Mageia was released in 2011. In 2012 is was listed at #2 on Distrowatch. It lost several ranks per year after that and by 2017 it didn't even break the top 100.
I see.
vision wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:28 pm The only distros that are continually popular are the big ones: Debian/Ubuntu/Mint, Fedora/CentOS, openSUSE, and it looks like Manjaro is here to stay. That's one I'm curious about and if I ever feel like checking out a new OS it will be that one.
Well then, there's no time like the present.:P I just reinstalled VM Ware again after so many years. Curiosity final got to me, again. Manjaro is one those distros I've heard a lot about, but never took the time to fully look at it. This might be a first time trying something Arch based. Solus and Slackware Linux will also be on the list.
vision wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:28 pm One a side note: I just bought a computer from System76 and it comes with Pop!_OS, which is basically Ubuntu with a few tweaks. I don't know if I'll keep it. Really, I feel like all the different Linux variants are basically the same under the hood, provided they follow the UNIX philosophy. What's most important for me as a desktop user is the Desktop Environment and WIndow Manager. The GUI needs to stay out of my way and respond quickly to keyboard commands. MATE has been my favorite DE since it came out. It's basically a fork of Gnome 2. XFCE was the other one I used a lot. Some people don't like them because they are like "Windows" but I don't see how that's a bad thing. Windows does some stuff really well.
Everyone has their own personal preferences. I don't think the Windows look is a bad idea, especially for those just coming into Linux for the first time. Zorin made their OS look very identical to Windows.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

I might be switching over to Linux Mint Debian Edition at some point. The direction Ubuntu is going with its business approach has kind bothered me for a while. If they ever lose their dang mind the Mint group might drop them.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

TigerRaptorFX wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:38 amThe direction Ubuntu is going with its business approach has kind bothered me for a while.
Agreed. Canonical has a talent for finding the worst way of approaching things while somehow doing just enough to stay popular. I've only ever used Ubuntu derivatives on the desktop because all the official installations have questionable design patterns everywhere. Speaking of which, my new computer comes with Pop!_OS so I'm now forced to use the Gnome 3 desktop environment which is a steaming pile of doo-doo (you have to install a "tweak" utility just to make it usable). So far I haven't wanted to punch my computer, but as soon as I do I'll try installing Mint on it.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Played around with Gnome 3 myself. I probably wouldn't mind using Gnome 3 if I had a touch screen tablet. The vertical part would be switched to horizontal and some other things would need to be configured.

vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

TigerRaptorFX wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:55 pmI probably wouldn't mind using Gnome 3 if I had a touch screen tablet.
Right, and that's exactly the problem with Gnome 3. It was designed at a time when people speculated that tablets would overtake PCs, but that never happened, and Gnome 3 isn't even on any tablets that I'm aware of. It's a pretty shite desktop environment, all gloss and crippled multi-tasking. It's popularity makes me think there are way more Linux users out there who basically do everything in a browser than I imagined.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Here's my half-assed opinion. :P

I kind of had some fun with both MX Linux and Manjaro over the past few weeks. Both are powerful players in the game and very easy to use. I barley touched the terminal in MX. While I'm not big on the xfce desktop, switching over to another desktop environment in MX was done with a few clicks. Manjaro still requires the terminal for that part. Finding the commands is rather easy.

While I still feel it come down to personal choice for many people. Both are great distros.