"Fight For Your Life"

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

"Fight For Your Life"

Post by Darth Wang »

I'm currently playing through this and it's really really difficult, but kind of amazing in a way. The levels all seem to include:

- Boarsheads, Lou Guards, and other robots with homing attacks in tight corridors where there's no room to dodge
- Robots that explode into groups of bigger robots
- Robots that explode into huge groups of smaller robots (like a sidearm turning into 10 modula, or a spider turning into 20 green hornets)
- Evil twins and other kamikaze robots that swarm you in tight tunnels
- Hundreds of robots per level, even if the levels aren't all that big
- Crazy puzzles (like you have to shoot a nondescript light on one side of the level to open up a door or wall needed to progress on the other side of the level, and there's no indication which light you're supposed to shoot, and there was one hostage room where the hostage door was indestructible from the front, so you had to destroy it with the phoenix cannon from the back... which I figured out only after scouring the level for a switch to unlock it)
- A guidebot in every level, but the way to the keys is always blocked so the guidebot is always useless and just gets in your way while saying it can't reach the keys
- A boss at the end of every single level
- Nearly every single primary weapon in a single room somewhere in each level, but you only ever really need to use the Gauss cannon since there's plenty of Vulcan ammo
- Lots of earthshaker missiles, but few opportunities to use them (tunnels are too cramped, bosses are often immune to them)
- Locked doors that open automatically when you get close to them, meaning there was no purpose in them being locked in the first place
- "Forcefield doors" that reflect energy weapons and only open if you shoot them with Gauss or missiles

Whoever made this is a jackass, but I secretly kind of love it. :lol:
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: "Fight For Your Life"

Post by akula65 »

I downloaded this level from Brockart's site (http://www.brockart.de/descent/) in 2004. At that time the archive had the following "Fight for your life.txt" file:
Descent 2-Mission: Fight for your life!
Autor: Impeerator alias Peer Sadowski

Levels: 27 (wenn ich mich nicht irre... *g*)

Diese Level sind teilweise noch etwas primitiv, wie ich feststellen musste. Sie werden aber besser, je weiter man kommt.
Teilweise sind ein paar Rätsel eingebaut, die schwer zu knacken sind. Immer mal wieder die Karte benutzen könnte da helfen.
Wer nicht weiterkommt kann mich fragen: Impeerator@gmx.de

Viel Spaß!
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

I had to cheat to beat level 11, as I couldn't figure out how to unlock the reactor and exit.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

Now that I'm further into it, I can report that a lot of the levels feature multiple bosses (although only one needs to be killed to end the level) and level 14 starts with a trap where, as soon as you move away from the entrance door, it opens behind you and releases a spider that murders you with concussion missiles. Fun.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

There are also many instances of robots that explode into multiple copies of the same type of robot, and even one instance of a class 1 Driller releasing a thief when it exploded.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

I had to cheat to get past a forcefield in level 19 that I couldn't figure out how to bypass. Also the author seems to be fond of putting mines behind illusory walls so you run right into them. There was also a class 1 Driller, that, when killed released another class 1 Driller and a swarm of green hornets.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

How do you even get a robot to release multiple kinds of robot?
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

LightWolf wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:34 pm How do you even get a robot to release multiple kinds of robot?
No idea, but I think that's what happened.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

Okay, forget everything I may have said about any of the previous levels. Level 22 is just ridiculous. I dare anyone to actually beat it without cheats. I'm not even going to spoil most of the dirty tricks the author used (although I suspect some of them, like the literally invincible robots, might just be glitches with the version of D2 I'm running, as I've encountered things like that before on other levels that definitely weren't supposed to be there).

Also, I only saw the starting room of level 23 so far, but it might end up being even worse.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

These levels just keep getting crazier. I can't wait to see what the final level is like.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

I had to cheat to get the yellow key in level 25. Now I'm on level 27, which is supposedly the final level.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

Finally got to the end. Surprisingly, the final level was rather anticlimactic. It had many of the same things the previous levels had that made it hard (overwhelming amounts of enemies, obnoxious puzzles, multiple bosses) but it didn't really stand out in any way. I was at least expecting a level 24 boss, but no.

Anyway, this level set is strangely awesome. I dare anyone to beat it on a blind run without cheats.
mystery2018
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by mystery2018 »

Ever try EQ's Sesame Set? It's pretty wild too.
'Whole strength, have ye, Oh bounteous ones; perfect, earth-shakers, is your might|Marutas, against the poet's wrathful enemy send ye an enemy like a dart.

Rigveda 1:39.10
TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

There is also 'Die hard' which is similar to ffyl
Currently working on Descent: The Countdown Level 22 (Ogep'rgs) (Geometry)
Descent: The Countdown
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
Next level to be done: Level 23 (IO Sulphur Refinery)
The grand collection (Only after Descent: The Countdown)
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note
Any levels I make are free to use (even redesign) and include in any mission set. Just pm me if you going to do so.

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares