See what I did

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

sudanamaru back
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

See what I did

Post by sudanamaru back »

Hello everybody, this is Sudanamaru from D123 era. I am doing some research in physics.
See what I did few days ago.
http://youtube.com/shorts/ZSi_A5f1P4g
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: See what I did

Post by Tunnelcat »

Cool. If the center part was a globe, you could paint it blue with lightning bolt accents and make it look like a Descent shield powerup.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
sudanamaru back
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Good Idea! Meanwhile I need to improve its stability a bit.
sudanamaru back
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Here, a bit impoved version
http://youtube.com/shorts/VLuojRRY33k
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I gather a coil like that can't be wound into a globe shape and have it work right. That hum is scary though. What's the power input?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
sudanamaru back
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

The hum is coming from the motor assembly which spinning the cylinder at 7300 RPM, corresponing to 122 Hz. This noise happens because magnets in the air vibrate this cylinder by strong forces. The cylender only contains neodymium mag ets. The motor consumes about 300 mA at 9V DC, Keeping magnets in air dont consume power.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yeah, I saw the 16 gauge A/C wire going to the cylinder bottom and wondered what was going on. You almost can't tell it's spinning since it's balanced so nicely with little nutation. I still wonder if this can be done with a spherical shaped center part without the floating magnets being attracted to the support post. It would be a really cool Descent themed item. What shape are the magnets in the cylinder?
sudanamaru back
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

There are total seven rectangular magnets in this cylender. Three of them make a block of 25x25x20 mm where the dipole is oriented radially in 25mm orientation. The second block is 20x25x5 mm magnet aligned axially and the third block consists of a broken piece of 50x25x10 magnet get thickened by two 25x20x5 mm on each side and dipole oriented radially. I am not sure there is a small adjustment magnet in this sandwich. Later I obtained a 25x25x5 mm magnet and replaced the middle magnet with this one. I think there would be much better arrangement for this scheme. Here is the top view of the cylender
http://photos.app.goo.gl/9UxVNL7hwhBE5v3Q6
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

What's your source for those magnets and did you 3D print the cylinder? I'm assuming you can get anything on the internet anymore. I can also see why creating a working sphere would be difficult given the shape of most available magnets.
sudanamaru back
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Spheres are from a aliexpress bought five years ago. Rest are from local store where they are exporting from far east.
This cylender is a 40 mm ID PPRC tubing section where I carved manually the inner section. Housings used on other tests (http://youtube.com/user/sudanamaru/vide ... &flow=list) are made using lathe.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

A lot of cool experiments going on there in your YouTube link. There must be a practical application for some of that. Can you make any of your satellite floating magnets orbit around the central cylinder magnet with a little push or are they only stable sitting in those positions?
sudanamaru back
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

I did it orbiting and posted this version link at Dec 5.

http://youtube.com/shorts/VLuojRRY33k

I am still working to make the orbiting to continue forever with more attractive strength and by controlling the orbiting speed. I think this speeding is caused either by induction currents or by some hysterisis.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Can't wait to see the results.