Gain of Function

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re: Gain of Function

Post by Vander »

Tunnelcat wrote:We got hit with 14% mortgage interest rates back then when we were buying our first home, which took a large chunk out of both our paychecks and like a lot of people, we blamed Carter for it.
That's the thing. Are you blaming Carter for inflation, or his reaction to it? Would you want Biden to move toward the same austerity policies, and then also get blamed for it, knowing what is waiting in the wings?
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Ferno wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:27 pm
When the lack of supply resolves itself and prices increase further, that will be the evidence you need that the supply/demand theory is completely full of holes.
And it happened a hell of a lot faster than I thought.

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Have you noticed any accelerated wear on your tires Krom?

https://solarchargeddriving.com/2018/08 ... tric-cars/

If so, the desert in Dubai is going to get a lot blacker over time. That's not oil in the sand. That's tons of tires, which tend to catch fire in the heat.

Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Vander wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:08 am
Tunnelcat wrote:We got hit with 14% mortgage interest rates back then when we were buying our first home, which took a large chunk out of both our paychecks and like a lot of people, we blamed Carter for it.
That's the thing. Are you blaming Carter for inflation, or his reaction to it? Would you want Biden to move toward the same austerity policies, and then also get blamed for it, knowing what is waiting in the wings?
No. It's no more Biden's fault than it was Carter's. But voters tend to vote emotionally when their pocketbook gets thin and they'll usually blame the current president, which will hurt Biden in 2024 if this keeps up.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Tunnelcat wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:37 pm Have you noticed any accelerated wear on your tires Krom?

https://solarchargeddriving.com/2018/08 ... tric-cars/
Mine is a 4100 lb car that puts out over 520 HP and 700 ft/lb of torque, nobody should be surprised that these destroy tires in relatively short distances.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Vander wrote:Is it inflation when prices go up at a time when profits are also going up?
Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 8.33.03 AM.png
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

How much did they go down in 2020?
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Google tells me

2020 -5.2%
2019 +2.7%
Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 3.04.19 PM.png
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Yeah, definitely smells like bull★■◆●, recovering 7-8% would have been fine given the prior year losses.

BuT iNfLaTiOn Is AlL bIdEn'S fAuLT!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I own a couple of one type of treasury that I'm finally making a killing on. They're a couple of TIP's or inflation protected treasuries that pay interest adjusted to inflation. Thankfully they both reside in my IRA, because the OID they throw off every month is now astronomical, capital gains that I would've had to pay taxes on every year if they were sitting in any other account. One of those bonds is old and was bought with 3.65% rate, so the OID (technically called "ghost income")and face value have really skyrocketed in the last few months and it doesn't come due until 2029. So I guess there is a silver lining to inflation, even though my husband and I got screwed on several mortgages in the 1980's that both carried over 13% interest rates. It's time for some payback from the government. :mrgreen:

Oh, and I heard a new term to describe the screw job these greedy corporate jerks are using to make it "look" like they're keeping prices low. It's called "shrinkflation". They downsize the product, but charge the same price. Most shoppers are stupid and don't notice they're being taken for a ride.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2021 ... ous-cousin