Too bad 2nd Amendmant happened

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Too bad 2nd Amendmant happened

Post by Tunnelcat »

Darth Wang wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:46 am I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather not live in a stereotypical depiction of the Wild West where everyone carries a gun everywhere and gets into at least 3 shootouts daily.
As a gun owner, I agree. I'd be far happier if every citizen in this country didn't need to own a gun for self protection, especially weapons of war, i.e. assault rifles and the crazy proliferation of semi automatic pistols. I'd get rid of mine willingly if this crazy gun toting nation would de-arm itself like any civilized society should. However, after seeing a new TV ad today from a Washington State congressional candidate claiming she's for the 2nd Amendment with absolutely no restrictions, while in the same breath she blithers that she's staunchly pro-life for children, she's representing a contradiction I can't explain with any logic known to man other than shear lunacy. I see it highly unlikely guns will go away anytime soon in the U.S. because of this rationale. Besides, half this nation would rather keep their guns to the bitter end before ever giving them up they're that steadfast in their beliefs. We're heading back into the Wild West era in this nation, where disputes will be settled with a gunfight and every homeowner has to protect themselves and their families and homes with deadly force.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

Tunnelcat wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:06 pm
Darth Wang wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:46 am I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather not live in a stereotypical depiction of the Wild West where everyone carries a gun everywhere and gets into at least 3 shootouts daily.
As a gun owner, I agree. I'd be far happier if every citizen in this country didn't need to own a gun for self protection, especially weapons of war, i.e. assault rifles and the crazy proliferation of semi automatic pistols. I'd get rid of mine willingly if this crazy gun toting nation would de-arm itself like any civilized society should. However, after seeing a new TV ad today from a Washington State congressional candidate claiming she's for the 2nd Amendment with absolutely no restrictions, while in the same breath she blithers that she's staunchly pro-life for children, she's representing a contradiction I can't explain with any logic known to man other than shear lunacy. I see it highly unlikely guns will go away anytime soon in the U.S. because of this rationale. Besides, half this nation would rather keep their guns to the bitter end before ever giving them up they're that steadfast in their beliefs. We're heading back into the Wild West era in this nation, where disputes will be settled with a gunfight and every homeowner has to protect themselves and their families and homes with deadly force.
Wouldn't being for the 2nd amendment "with absolutely no restrictions" mean that private citizens could own nuclear weapons?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well, technically, since the Founding Fathers didn't specifically define the term "arms", that means it's possible ANY weapons would be OK for private citizens to own if you want to split hairs. It would be up to the courts to define "arms" if this fuzzy definition were ever to be challenged in a federal lawsuit. For example, say someone wanted to own a rocket launcher (for all I know, someone does in the U.S.). Since it can be carried, it fits the definition. However, nuclear material is heavily regulated, I seriously doubt a common citizen would be able to legally own a nuclear bomb.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

We all need a little John Wayne in us.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Ah yes, we all need more Marion Robert Morrison, the *checks notes* actor who played fictional roles and engaged in disgusting McCarthyism blacklisting behavior. Meanwhile you'd ★■◆● your pants as hard as the garbage Uvalde cops did at the first sign of actual danger.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I can see why woody likes Mr. Racist John Wayne. He was a man who would be simpatico to most of Trump's minions today, including woody. You know, like the Proud Boys, Freedom Front and Oath Keepers.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/02/read-joh ... ranscript/

Since it's a long interview and needs to be read on a computer, here's it boiled down to it's essence. Nice guy.

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-ne ... esurfaces/
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

John Wayne was a ★■◆●ing piece of ★■◆●.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Unfortunately Top Gun, he was no different than many of the men of that era. My own stepfather, who's 90 now, is a racist and homophobic piece of ★■◆●.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I know, which is all the more reason why we should honor the memories of those who weren't like that instead of continuing to idolize those that were. The true heroes were those who stood up against McCarthy's fascist bootlickers.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

woodchip wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:24 amWe all need a little John Wayne in us.
...and enough Buddha to know how stupid this statement is.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

woodchip wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:24 am We all need a little John Wayne in us.
John Wayne is a hollywood wet dream about what the west was like.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Fun fact: the actual "Wild" West had fairly common gun control measures.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

Top Gun wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:41 pm Fun fact: the actual "Wild" West had fairly common gun control measures.
That's why a 'stereotypical depiction' of the wild west was specified.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ferno wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:44 pm
woodchip wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:24 am We all need a little John Wayne in us.
John Wayne is a hollywood wet dream about what the west was like.
Same with Clint Eastwood and his westerns.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Krom wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:33 am Yes, do so, please show more than the 300+ mass shootings so far this year that have not been stopped by a citizen in self defense.
Too be fair to WoodChip something like that did indeed just happen.

"Police laud the actions of a man who killed a shooter at an Indiana mall"
https://www.npr.org/2022/07/17/11119730 ... diana-mall

Yes I know. Only 1 instance.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Nosferatu wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:10 amToo be fair to WoodChip something like that did indeed just happen.
Why be fair? We all know the "good guy with a gun" idea is ridiculous and if statistics proved otherwise the 2A folks wouldn't shut up about it. Every social media platform would be littered with stupid memes pointing to the facts.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'm surprised that woody hasn't chimed in and lorded this one over us.

https://news.yahoo.com/armed-hero-stopp ... 24178.html

But for every shooter that knows what they're doing and how to hit a target, there are 100 that don't.

https://centraloregondaily.com/cougar-d ... uthanized/
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Is this considered a "mass shooting?"

https://www.denverpost.com/2022/07/17/2 ... -shooting/
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Um, collateral damage? :shock: It happens more than you think and most bystanders that are hit by stray police bullets have considerable trouble getting legal recompense.

http://www.allgov.com/news/controversie ... ews=851648
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Vander wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:30 pm Is this considered a "mass shooting?"

https://www.denverpost.com/2022/07/17/2 ... -shooting/
Adwalled. Also, when I hit the X button, I get "you have hit your limit of articles".
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

It was just cops wilding again.