New PC build (AMD system)

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

New PC build (AMD system)

Post by TigerRaptor »

The last computer I built was back in 2010, so yeah, I'm long overdue. My tech knowledge on new hardware is very rusty, so forgive me if I made an error somewhere. :oops: Still researching everything.

For the processor I'm going with the AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8-Core. All ready purchased, no heatsink with this one.

Maybe
MSI VGA Graphic Cards RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC

Still undecided on the motherboard, so here's one I might be considering.
MSI MPG X570S Edge

This computer will be a dual boot between Windows 11 and MX Linux (Debian based). Ram will most likely be G Skill Ripjaws, which I'm using now. PSU is still undecided. 
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: New PC build early stage (AMD system)

Post by Krom »

Don't spend $254 on a 5 year old video card.

If you shop around you can find a RTX 3050 which is about 30% faster in most things and probably closer to 10 times faster in ray tracing stuff for $50 more. Also the 3050 uses less power (130w vs 185w) so it will be cooler and quieter. Occasionally one will even come into stock for the same price. They may even drop fairly soon because Nvidia is going to start rolling out the 4000 series in the next couple months which could drive down prices of 3000 series parts. (I wouldn't expect the 4050 to release till well into next year though).

The downside is Nvidia's linux drivers probably aren't as good as the linux drivers for a 5 year old AMD GPU would be.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: New PC build early stage (AMD system)

Post by TigerRaptor »

Being a Linux user does make things a challenge and limit some hardware choices, like not being able to use a Gigabyte motherboard due to compatibility issues. I do like Nvidia but the desktop environment KDE Plasma has its own set of issues with Nvidia drivers. So I would rather avoid any other hassles.

The 580 is very compatible with Linux, now that you mentioned it being 5 years old. Going to take a pass on it. The other card I'm looking at is the MSI AMD Radeon RX 6600 for $289. There are other versions of that card. I'm not sure if I really want to spend the extra on something like the XT.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: New PC build (AMD system)

Post by TigerRaptor »

Narrowed the hardware down to this configuration. I'm going with two SSDs and one mechanical drive for backup from Western Digital. One SSD for Win 11 and the other SSD for Linux. Still looking for two 4k monitors, any recommendations would be helpful.

With winter right around the corner, I'll have some time for gaming again. Time to give Overload a shot.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X

MSI Gaming AMD Radeon RX 6600

MSI AMD X570 Gaming Pro Motherboard They had this for 209.99 new, so I jumped on it.

G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32GB

MSI MPG A750GF PSU
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

All marvel at my super genius, for I have taken the led light from my old computer case and installed it into this new case because it didn't come with a HD light flashy thingy.

fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

they might've overloaded the power LED to also act as the HDD access...