Intel Arc (new question)

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Intel Arc (new question)

Post by Burlyman »

Is it true that Intel fixed all the problems with it? I heard someone say they get 160 fps in Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (but he could’ve been paid to say that. x_x)
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Intel Arc (new question)

Post by Tunnelcat »

Sounds like they've vastly improved some of the issues with better driver updates. But I'm still a wait and see for now, especially since I coughed up for an Nvidia 3080Ti and it works great. If Intel can beat the King's ransom pricing of Nvidia and AMD cards, I might start looking at their offerings.

https://www.techradar.com/news/intel-ar ... ce-upgrade
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

It is easy to get major performance upgrades in drivers when the driver quality is complete garbage to begin with. Don't get me wrong, nvidia and amd drivers are frequently full of all sorts of comical errata, bugs, performance regressions, etc. But nvidia probably has maintained 10x the amount of human resources working on their software for the last 20 years than Intel or AMD combined, there is a reason they totally dominate gaming right now even though AMD is in all the big consoles. (And the main reason AMD are in consoles is because it is well known Nvidia are assholes that are incredibly difficult to work with.)

Intel is not in a good place right now, their process technology is stalled, they just cut pay and benefits in order "to avoid layoffs" and then had layoffs anyway. Also the guy they brought over from AMD to work on graphics (because he hadn't done enough damage to the industry yet) quit and co-founded some venture capital place instead.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Then you've got material shortages and quality control issues due to Covid. A perfect storm of "Don't buy this newish still in beta testing phase product just yet" issue.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

That's what I was afraid of. Okay, thanks for answering. Maybe next time, Intel. :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

This from the company that brought us the Intel Management Engine, or whatever the hell it's supposed to do, which I haven't figured out yet and is almost impossible to get reliable updates for anyway. :roll:
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

I still like their BTX form factor. :P
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Krom wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:15 pm (And the main reason AMD are in consoles is because it is well known Nvidia are assholes that are incredibly difficult to work with.)
Isn't that the truth. Even Linus Torvalds told Nvidia to ★■◆● off. :lol: