Affirmative Action

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Affirmative Action

Post by woodchip »

SCOTUS ruled that Affirmative Action is illegal and the libs are already whining. Here is a example:
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Affirmative Action

Post by Top Gun »

Yes woody, we're all aware that the majority on the Supreme Court is currently taking a ★■◆● on anything resembling precedent and heinously shirking their sworn duties. And that's before we touch on the multiple justices accepting gifts from billionaires while simultaneously ruling on cases affecting them.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

That's not the only case these guys slammed down. Now it's OK to NOT do business with people if you have to say something that's against your own views while doing that business. Don't like gay marriage, now you don't have to bake that stupid cake, because baking a cake says you approved and heaven forbid anyone thinks that of some Christian business owner. Don't like that interracial couple getting married in your church, you don't have to officiate at their wedding or even allow them to use your church. What a bunch of jackasses.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Y'know the great part about that is that Jesus doesn't say a single word against homosexuality in any of the Gospels. Not one. The only thing those bigots base their hate on is a line or two in Leviticus (because clearly 3300-year-old Jewish statutes are a fantastic basis for a modern society), and the epistles of that all-time professional ★■◆● Paul.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Top Gun wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:45 am Y'know the great part about that is that Jesus doesn't say a single word against homosexuality in any of the Gospels. Not one. The only thing those bigots base their hate on is a line or two in Leviticus (because clearly 3300-year-old Jewish statutes are a fantastic basis for a modern society), and the epistles of that all-time professional ★■◆● Paul.
He says that the God of the Old Testament is His Father though, and God was the One who said it. This goes against the hippie version of Jesus that many of you believe in. Gummy bear Christianity is cancelled.
Zero, Behemoth, FOIL, Terminal, Neo. The greatest pilots in the universe. :P
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Isn't Affirmative Action like reverse racism? I'm glad they ruled that I don't have to do anything for people who want me to do something that goes against my God.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Top Gun wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:07 am Yes woody, we're all aware that the majority on the Supreme Court is currently taking a ★■◆● on anything resembling precedent and heinously shirking their sworn duties. And that's before we touch on the multiple justices accepting gifts from billionaires while simultaneously ruling on cases affecting them.
Just exactly what cases were affected by the gifts? Or are you playing Anita Hill and the coke can story? Yes justices received gifts from people they were friends with but nowhere did I read specific case that were affected or were even asked by the friends to be affected.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Tunnelcat wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:26 am That's not the only case these guys slammed down. Now it's OK to NOT do business with people if you have to say something that's against your own views while doing that business. Don't like gay marriage, now you don't have to bake that stupid cake, because baking a cake says you approved and heaven forbid anyone thinks that of some Christian business owner. Don't like that interracial couple getting married in your church, you don't have to officiate at their wedding or even allow them to use your church. What a bunch of jackasses.
So do you think Muslim bakers may not feel the same way? Why are you fixated on Christians? A agnostic owner may not feel obligated either.
So why shouldn't a business owner of any persuasion have the right to refuse a customer other than something like emergency care?

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Neo wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:46 pm Isn't Affirmative Action like reverse racism? I'm glad they ruled that I don't have to do anything for people who want me to do something that goes against my God.
Indeed Neo. Accepting people based on the color of their skin instead of their abilities lessens the overall quality of the end product.

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:20 pm
Tunnelcat wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:26 am That's not the only case these guys slammed down. Now it's OK to NOT do business with people if you have to say something that's against your own views while doing that business. Don't like gay marriage, now you don't have to bake that stupid cake, because baking a cake says you approved and heaven forbid anyone thinks that of some Christian business owner. Don't like that interracial couple getting married in your church, you don't have to officiate at their wedding or even allow them to use your church. What a bunch of jackasses.
So do you think Muslim bakers may not feel the same way? Why are you fixated on Christians? A agnostic owner may not feel obligated either.
So why shouldn't a business owner of any persuasion have the right to refuse a customer other than something like emergency care?
Funny you should ask about Muslims. :wink:

https://religionnews.com/2017/12/06/a-m ... shop-case/
Impositions of religious views are considered aberrations of the Islamic belief in God’s benevolence and the divine dignity inherent in every human being.
And woody, why are you even worried about how your hated lib institutions select students? There have been a lot of young black people over the years who've gotten a chance at a higher education because of affirmative action. Now I guess those smart Asians who brought this case in the first place will take their places. Some of them Chinese, another of your targeted "enemies" group. I'd rather have excelling black students in this country than a bunch of bored gang bangers hanging around our cities because they weren't quite good enough to get into college, but had the potential. What a waste.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

woodchip wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:28 pmAccepting people based on the color of their skin instead of their abilities lessens the overall quality of the end product.
Meritocracy is a great idea that doesn't work as expected. You should read the criticisms of it to understand why, in practice, it doesn't work. I know you don't read, so I'll try to give you the TL:DR. People who come from higher socioeconomic backgrounds have greater access to tools and can develop skills that make them more meritorious than poorer people. All Meritocracy does is reinforce class division. While I agree in principal that race shouldn't be a factor, race is used as a proxy for class, and class is what diversity metrics should be measured against.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Affirmative action is just a shiny rose colored DEI picture with pretty flowers and rainbows.

The abysmal graduation rate is the problem that needs to be addressed.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yet, meritocracy is still the problem in this country. Rich school districts have the highest funding and graduation rates. Poor districts have the lowest funding and even lower graduation rates. Poorer school districts are typically Black or Latino in poor communities. Guess which party keeps cutting taxes on the wealthy and even wants a national sales tax, which is a regressive tax that mostly impacts middle and lower class Americans? Republicans. Dumping Affirmative Action just made those students, mostly African American by the way, no longer have the opportunity to receive a higher education because they won't have the higher grades needed to be selected.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Affirmative action is just a shiny picture ... The abysmal graduation rate is the problem that needs to be addressed.
Those are two categorically different problems and you don't have to throw one out for the other. Affirmative Action shouldn't be thrown out at all. There are a lot of valid criticisms of it, but it has benefits. To nullify it without a better replacement is malicious.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Tunnelcat wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:04 pm
woodchip wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:20 pm
Funny you should ask about Muslims. :wink:
OK, how about a black cake maker being asked by the KKK to make a cake honoring Sen. Byrd ?

https://religionnews.com/2017/12/06/a-m ... shop-case/
Impositions of religious views are considered aberrations of the Islamic belief in God’s benevolence and the divine dignity inherent in every human being.
Tunnelcat wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:04 pmAnd woody, why are you even worried about how your hated lib institutions select students? There have been a lot of young black people over the years who've gotten a chance at a higher education because of affirmative action. Now I guess those smart Asians who brought this case in the first place will take their places. Some of them Chinese, another of your targeted "enemies" group. I'd rather have excelling black students in this country than a bunch of bored gang bangers hanging around our cities because they weren't quite good enough to get into college, but had the potential. What a waste.
When selection is based on the color of your skin. Wasn't it MLK that said " they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character" ? Or are your news sources down playing that? So why should a school like Harvard playing the diversity card? Expensive to go there. Where do these gang bangers get the money to go there. Why all the hate towards Asians? They're not Caucasians so can't say anything about toxic whiteness. More , I think, it has to do with family cohesiveness and education and not looking at themselves as victims. The left hates that as the narrative of be dependent on the state falls flat.
Targeted Chinese is for Chinese coming here to go to school on a visa and then working in some business or for the military all the while sending information back to China. Don't confuse them with Chines Americans who emigrated here (legally).
As to capable blacks winding up in a gang is horse puckey. Ben Carson is a case in point Born poor yet became a leading infant neurosurgeon. I suspect he would be just fine with meritocracy. So your argument fall flat because you believe what the left wing opinion sources want you to believe.

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

First off, being a member of the KKK is a "choice", not an immutable trait. Being Black, White, Latino or LGBTQ is not something you choose to be, it's what you're born as. Am I to be discriminated against by some business all because of who I am? Public means public, not private for members only. You go into business to serve the public, even if it means serving Blacks, Latinos or LGBTQ people who you don't like. We can't change who we are just to cater to your biases and hate. Otherwise, become a private for members only business if you can't deal with people you despise based solely on some inborn trait.

Back to the KKK. They CHOSE to be a violent hate group, just like the Neo Nazis, the Proud Boys, etc. Also like Jews, Christians or Muslims, who CHOSE their religion. Sure, you can be born into any religion as part of a family, but you can choose to change your religion at will or become an Atheist. People aren't born that way. I could also put recent veterans into this catagory. They CHOSE to go and fight wars since this country no longer has a forced draft. Say someone hates killing and war, like some parent with a bakery who's lost their kid to a school shooter, and refuses to serve a modern vet who comes in the door and wants an assualt rifle shaped cake baked? How about a liberal group who wants a Trump supporting business to build an unflattering baby Trump ballon for them? How much refusal to do business has SCOTUS allowed to be legal? It's really kind of murky.

And quit digging up right wing BS to smear MLK's history. He approved of Affirmative Action.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Good show too.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

"Return of the King" was just about the most powerful half-hour of mainstream television I've ever seen.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Tunnelcat wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:22 pm First off, being a member of the KKK is a "choice", not an immutable trait. Being Black, White, Latino or LGBTQ is not something you choose to be, it's what you're born as. Am I to be discriminated against by some business all because of who I am? Public means public, not private for members only. You go into business to serve the public, even if it means serving Blacks, Latinos or LGBTQ people who you don't like. We can't change who we are just to cater to your biases and hate. Otherwise, become a private for members only business if you can't deal with people you despise based solely on some inborn trait.

Back to the KKK. They CHOSE to be a violent hate group, just like the Neo Nazis, the Proud Boys, etc. Also like Jews, Christians or Muslims, who CHOSE their religion. Sure, you can be born into any religion as part of a family, but you can choose to change your religion at will or become an Atheist. People aren't born that way. I could also put recent veterans into this catagory. They CHOSE to go and fight wars since this country no longer has a forced draft. Say someone hates killing and war, like some parent with a bakery who's lost their kid to a school shooter, and refuses to serve a modern vet who comes in the door and wants an assualt rifle shaped cake baked? How about a liberal group who wants a Trump supporting business to build an unflattering baby Trump ballon for them? How much refusal to do business has SCOTUS allowed to be legal? It's really kind of murky.

And quit digging up right wing BS to smear MLK's history. He approved of Affirmative Action.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
"First off, being a member of the KKK is a choice". While you are right, but then it was not a choice to a black person. While being any of the groups you list you cannot change, it's what you do with it makes all the difference. Not all blacks are dumb ghetto bangers, not all whites are born with a silver spoon. Nor do lgbtq people have to walk naked in front of children at a parade nor trannies have to chant about taking your children away hey hey. Again it all comes down to your character, not what you were born with. It's not that I dislike any of the groups you mention, just the character of some of them.

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

woodchip wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:58 pm Nor do lgbtq people have to walk naked in front of children at a parade nor trannies have to chant about taking your children away hey hey.
Things that don't ★■◆●ing happen for $200, Alex.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I don't see any naked people at this drag reading. All I see are black clad masked Neo Nazis too chickenshit to show their hateful faces in public. Talk about character. These bozos got jackshit. By the way, no parent is forced to go to a drag queen story hour either.

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Top Gun wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:11 pm
woodchip wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:58 pm Nor do lgbtq people have to walk naked in front of children at a parade nor trannies have to chant about taking your children away hey hey.
Things that don't ★■◆●ing happen for $200, Alex.
Things that are illegal and immoral for a $1,000 Alex.

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Tunnelcat wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:50 pm I don't see any naked people at this drag reading. All I see are black clad masked Neo Nazis too chickenshit to show their hateful faces in public. Talk about character. These bozos got jackshit. By the way, no parent is forced to go to a drag queen story hour either.
Just their kids are without the parents knowing. Loads of character all around. Tell me TC, were you a parent? I was.

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

No, I wasn't a parent. But I would not be afraid of some drag queen reading stories. If the stories weren't something I wanted my kids to hear, I wouldn't go there, but I'm pretty open to most literature, unless its boring. It's MY choice too. But the glaring issue is, I WOULD be concerned with bunch of masked thugs beating on the windows, yelling Nazi slogans and swinging Nazi salutes. They're a direct threat, not free speech. In fact, I wouldn't just be concerned, I'd be PISSED OFF and want something done about it. If I was a father, I might resort to a little head bashing for fun. Wouldn't you be mad, or do you have tacit approval of the behavior of these jackasses? I've never heard you condem these people, not once. Are you a closet Neo Nazi?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

The fact that woody reproduced is a terrifying thought.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Forgive me if I don't know, but when did MLK ever talk about Jesus? Wasn't he supposed to be a preacher?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Top Gun wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:45 pm The fact that woody reproduced is a terrifying thought.
My daughter grew up and became quite successful. You teaching kids is what is really terrifying.

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Yeah man, having someone who majored in a science discipline teach kids about that science discipline is just the worst.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Hallelujah to teachers like Top Gun.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

One of those quotes you posted is bad, tunnelcat. It shows he supported the Catholic church, saying that Christians were united. Plus he was fooling around with prostitutes and he did more "black" preaching than anything else it seems.

Why would God make someone LGBT or let them be made that way and then tell them about Adam and Eve and then tell LGBT people not to do that?

About affirmative action, it seems like it needs some kind of replacement but it's like there are too many selfish rich people and both Democratic and Republican parties are evil. I believe that the people in those parties don't want to be evil but they can be called out on some things.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I didn't make the quotes. King did. For the record, I don't believe in Adam and Eve or the Garden of Eden either. Humanity is far older and more varied than that for being the progeny of just 2 humans. And I was "made" whether you agree or not. Because of a chemical my mother took in the 1950's to prevent miscarriages, or God, or fate, I don't know. But my brain is male and the body female. They don't match at all. It ain't changing anytime soon either.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Neo wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:43 pm Why would God make someone LGBT or let them be made that way and then tell them about Adam and Eve and then tell LGBT people not to do that?
I love how you ask this and yet aren't self-aware enough to come to the obvious conclusion.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Full-size image so there's no possible way people can ignore it.

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

There's one not listed in the top spot. That we're all gonna be forced to eat bugs for food by the elites that control the world.

"In recent years, however, this aversion has fused with an amorphous and shapeshifting conspiracy theory in which a shadowy global elite conspires to control the world's population. For those who espouse the theory, eating bugs isn't just a matter of disgust, or questioning the impacts of climate change. It's framed as a matter of individual freedom and government control."
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

I take issue with some of that Annie Richards thing chart. I'm not saying I'm correct, I just think the deep state (on some level) isn't that far out. I mean I hope so since our president isn't like with it - I hope there are protocols in place. The Illuminati isn't that crazy, the extent in which the world is affected by them can't be proven but I would believe that powerful families and relationships have influence; look at fraternities at colleges, those dudes always make deals and get each other (and each others' children) internships and jobs. I saw it all the time working in the financial industry - "summer interns!" always had familiar last names to executives and upper management - there are systems and it's not "not in touch with reality" it IS REALITY- it's not even always wrong, family business is ancient business practice.

JFK was not shot by Oswald alone - I don't know that but it seems impossible given ballistic evidence. UFOs aren't crazy because there is no way that humans are the top of the food chain in the Universe - proof is Walmart on a Sunday afternoon.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

What you think is the 'deep state' meatsock, is just rich fucks' kids making deals with other rich fucks' kids. No conspiracy theory there.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Yeah, that's just plain old nepotism.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Top Gun wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:59 am Yeah man, having someone who majored in a science discipline teach kids about that science discipline is just the worst.
Just so you teach science and don't throw in political indoctrination.