Ham

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Ham

Post by woodchip »

So I went to take the Ham Radio license test on Saturday, passed and now am awaiting the Feds to process so I can pay the fee and get my number. Looks to be an interesting hobby.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Ham

Post by Darth Wang »

woodchip wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:58 am So I went to take the Ham Radio license test on Saturday, passed and now am awaiting the Feds to process so I can pay the fee and get my number. Looks to be an interesting hobby.
Make sure to try some EME signals and time them to show to our buddy Neo.

Of course he'll then probably accuse you of being in on the whole Round Earth conspiracy.

Which means it must be a pretty implausible conspiracy, if people from complete opposite sides of the political spectrum are all in on it.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Krom, can we move this over to the PTMC before it devolves into something other than a discussion about ham radios, which woody wants to have?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Tunnelcat wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:36 am Krom, can we move this over to the PTMC before it devolves into something other than a discussion about ham radios, which woody wants to have?
It's not a terrible topic for E&C, though woody should have proposed an issue with modern communication. Like our reliance on the modern smartphone is putting all of our eggs in one basket and so on...

I'm just saying it's got potential and might be a nice change of topic, not that I'm tired of "Trump Bad Biden Bad Flat Earth Abortion Republican Democrat War on Trans LGBT Gun rights" topic we keep circling back to.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Woody and Neo can have a father and son moment.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

This is why we can't have have anything nice. :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'd like to ask woody where he plans on putting up an antenna if he gets serious? They're quite large if you want to pick up far away signals. I lived in a neighborhood decades ago where a ham operator neighbor had a huge antenna setup. In fact, he still lives there nearly 40 years later because the antenna is still there. He was serious about the hobby and had a decent sized house, so it wasn't a problem for him, but an apartment might not be a good place to set one up.

My father in law was a radio operator in the Navy and also had his ham license. He never set up at home after the war though. And yeah, Isaac makes a good point about relying on cell phones for communication. It's a one off dependency made worse with lousy maintenance by the landline telecoms. CenturyLink in my area is no longer keeping their neighborhood equipment maintained and the line became so noisy I had to finally dump my landline for a cell phone. But if EMF bombs are ever set off over this country, everything that has a CMOS based chip in it will be fried and inoperable, including most modern cars, communications, water supplies and our power grid. I'm also betting a modern ham radio set also is susceptible, so you'd really need an older tube style radio and your own generator to talk to an electronically dead world.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Just put it in rice overnight, no? :P
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Darth Wang wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:23 am
woodchip wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:58 am So I went to take the Ham Radio license test on Saturday, passed and now am awaiting the Feds to process so I can pay the fee and get my number. Looks to be an interesting hobby.
Make sure to try some EME signals and time them to show to our buddy Neo.
Actually what I'd like to try is communicate with the ISS. Might be hard as that is a popular thing to do with Hams, and they're lined up to be able to talk
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Tunnelcat wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:36 pm I'd like to ask woody where he plans on putting up an antenna if he gets serious? They're quite large if you want to pick up far away signals. I lived in a neighborhood decades ago where a ham operator neighbor had a huge antenna setup. In fact, he still lives there nearly 40 years later because the antenna is still there. He was serious about the hobby and had a decent sized house, so it wasn't a problem for him, but an apartment might not be a good place to set one up.

My father in law was a radio operator in the Navy and also had his ham license. He never set up at home after the war though. And yeah, Isaac makes a good point about relying on cell phones for communication. It's a one off dependency made worse with lousy maintenance by the landline telecoms. CenturyLink in my area is no longer keeping their neighborhood equipment maintained and the line became so noisy I had to finally dump my landline for a cell phone. But if EMF bombs are ever set off over this country, everything that has a CMOS based chip in it will be fried and inoperable, including most modern cars, communications, water supplies and our power grid. I'm also betting a modern ham radio set also is susceptible, so you'd really need an older tube style radio and your own generator to talk to an electronically dead world.
Actually TC I'll be putting up a Horz. Dipole antenna and not a tower. My neighbor dropped of a big thick book on antenna design and amazing on how many styles there are other than towers.

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

What's your handle? Or is that private info you don't want us to know.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:59 pm Actually TC I'll be putting up a Horz. Dipole antenna and not a tower. My neighbor dropped of a big thick book on antenna design and amazing on how many styles there are other than towers.
There's still a large hit with the horizontal dipole antenna, especially if you have buildings around you, but at least you can fit it into your space. But you'll get a lot more range and better/clearer reception with a vertical antenna. Being in a city limits your choice however.

https://www.onallbands.com/dipole-vs-ve ... is-better/

https://forums.radioreference.com/threa ... na.425029/
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

Isaac wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:03 am I'm just saying it's got potential and might be a nice change of topic, not that I'm tired of "Trump Bad Biden Bad Flat Earth Abortion Republican Democrat War on Trans LGBT Gun rights" topic we keep circling back to.

I think it’s important that we talk about my genitals 80% of the time and if you get bored of the topic you are a genocidal bigot.

*edit
Now that I think about it don't you kinda have to be a bigot to be genocidal? It's kind of redundant.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

TheWhat wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:42 pm
Isaac wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:03 am I'm just saying it's got potential and might be a nice change of topic, not that I'm tired of "Trump Bad Biden Bad Flat Earth Abortion Republican Democrat War on Trans LGBT Gun rights" topic we keep circling back to.

I think it’s important that we talk about my genitals 80% of the time and if you get bored of the topic you are a genocidal bigot.

*edit
Now that I think about it don't you kinda have to be a bigot to be genocidal? It's kind of redundant.
I've been patiently waiting for you here:

https://descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?p=396652#p396652

I don't know why you treat people badly who are nice to you.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Got a Dipole antenna up and was listening to a guy out in Washington state (I'm in Michigan). Also listened to some guys down in Georgia and Tennessee. Still got some tuning to do. Big difference from this board as all the ham's I listened to are very polite and helpful

Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

woodchip wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:34 am Got a Dipole antenna up and was listening to a guy out in Washington state (I'm in Michigan). Also listened to some guys down in Georgia and Tennessee. Still got some tuning to do. Big difference from this board as all the ham's I listened to are very polite and helpful
That's probably because you haven't yet shared your political opinions with them.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:34 am Got a Dipole antenna up and was listening to a guy out in Washington state (I'm in Michigan). Also listened to some guys down in Georgia and Tennessee. Still got some tuning to do. Big difference from this board as all the ham's I listened to are very polite and helpful
Probably because they don't talk about politics. But I'm betting you're talking to a few liberals out there and don't even realize it.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Tunnelcat wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:18 am
Probably because they don't talk about politics. But I'm betting you're talking to a few liberals out there and don't even realize it.
Not talking to anyone as the test admins haven't filed the paperwork yet so I can't pay the license fee and be assigned a call sign...without which I cannot transmit.

Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

I can guarantee you won't find any flat earthers operating the radios, though, as it's simple to use them to disprove their worldview.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

woodchip wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:06 pm
Not talking to anyone as the test admins haven't filed the paperwork yet so I can't pay the license fee and be assigned a call sign...without which I cannot transmit.
I thought you made-up handles. They're assigned?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Isaac wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:35 pm
woodchip wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:06 pm
I thought you made-up handles. They're assigned?
Nope, you are assigned a call sign by the FCC. Finally got the paper work in and the fee paid. Awaiting the FCC to assign me a series of letter for my call sign. As a newbie I'll have to use a 6 letter call sign whenever I'm on the air both to announce my presence and when I finish a conversation. Most Hams won't answer you without a call sign.