Virus Help...

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Virus Help...

Post by Topher »

So I fell for a "virus" yesterday.
No, I didn't open any unknown emails, but I did install an applet that was disguised as something else.

I got an IM from a friend that said to check out this one web page. The web page looks like a news article for Osama Bin Laden being captured and the applet is suppose to be a news viewer or something. So I installed it, turns out it was a game, whoopdy do.

Later, AIM restarts and I get a couple IMs from people wondering what the hell this link is I sent them...

I've tried the latest virus software, no new definitions so I don't know if there was anything on the tail end of this other than a gag, but I heard from a couple people to watch out for it so maybe it's more serious than I know.

Anyone have any other info? (I could post the link, but I don't think that's a good idea...)
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Yay, turns out this is just a joke...
http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default. ... s_k=101007
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

another reasion i dont use aim Image
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Gee, check thier Terms & Conditions:

"Note: This is not an actual news story. This is the prologue to a Flash video game.
[..]
Services; Modifications to Your Instant Messaging Client. The Software provides you the opportunity to access Content for no charge. In return for the right to access this Content, you acknowledge and agree that the Software contains additional software products provided to PSD Tools by its suppliers which will periodically deliver additional Content such as, but not limited to, advertisements and promotional messages to your Computer and programs that may alter your home page to offer you Content. In addition, the Software will interoperate with your current instant messaging client so as to permit the automatic sending of advertising messages originating from your Computer to your contact or â??buddyâ?
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Might as well be a virus. Image

Using your PC to serve ads to your buddies????? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »