Is there such a thing as a right-wing humanist?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Is there such a thing as a right-wing humanist?

Post by Ford Prefect »

A comment by Arol in another thread got me thinking.

Arol: "As for this thread I look forward to reading what the more left-wing non-extremist humanists have to say on the subject."

This is completly off the other topic but I began to wonder if there is such a thing as a right-wing humanist. Maybe the Libertarians fit the bill. http://www.lp.org/ but I'm not sure they would like to be though of as humanist.
The humanists http://www.americanhumanist.org/index.html probably come under the heading of left-wing. At least in the U.S. where the middle ground is much more to the right of center than in most other democracies.

I personally don't mind the title of left-wing humanist and being one have a hard time seeing how those that don't accept that ultimate moral authority flows from a higher power could accept many of the political philosophies of the right. But maybe I'm blinded by my own opinions on this.

Is there an "Athiests for Bush" organization?
Hmm... Given his Daddy's attitude http://www.robsherman.com/information/l ... 4/0204.htm I doubt it.

Can anyone give me an example of a right-wing humanist?
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

LOL, Rob Sherman is so full of chit its dripping out of his ears.

Yeah, I know a few. They are atheists that believe in supply side economics, the sanctity of life, and that people should be able to worship [or not worship] as they see fit wherever they wish.
index_html
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by index_html »

From the website you linked to:
As Kurt Vonnegut succinctly described: being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.

Humanism is a progressive lifestance that, without supernaturalism, affirms our ability and responsibility to lead ethical lives of personal fulfillment that aspire to the greater good of humanity.
I'd imagine there a many people on the right side of the fence who fit within those parameters. I'm agnostic and find common ground with quite a few conservative ideals. I place the welfare of humanity high on my list and don't think that religion is a perequisite of living a moral and ethical life. I just don't belong to any group or association that includes religious affiliation (or lack thereof) as part of its charter. I consider myself non-religious rather than anti-religious ... that might possibly be where I part ways with the "humanists".
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

there's a usa political party named "Humanist"?
that makes it confusing. when anyone in this thread mentions the word "humanist", they should say if they are talking about the party, or just the word.

i've of course never heard of the usa humanist political party. so when i say "humanist" what i am talking about is the original pure word.

i'm a humanist. the values make up the central core of my personality. i can understand how other people don't have inherent humanistic ideals, but i am frightened by the prospect that they could be running a country.

so Ford Prefect: the title question to this thread, is it in reference to the 'humanist political party', or the "humanist" word?
Arol
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Is there such a thing as a right-wing humanist?

Post by Arol »

Ford Prefect wrote:A comment by Arol in another thread got me thinking.
Arol: "As for this thread I look forward to reading what the more left-wing non-extremist humanists have to say on the subject."
I stand corrected! :oops:
What I meant to say was ...left-wing non-extremist bleeding-hearted librals :wink: . The word humanist was totally out of contex here.
As a simple Google seach would have told me. I gofed :oops:
http://www.jcn.com/humanism.html
As for a right wing humanist?
A good question, will have to look into that maybe here:
http://members.atlantic.net/~dwatney/reid/reid28.htm
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

roid, there's no humanist political party, at least none I've ever heard of. Arol was referring to humanists as a group of people with the same philosophy.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

ah k sorry, i mistook the webpage for a political party webpage. it looked very... votey ;)
and Ford Prefect referred to them as "the humanists", it sounded like he was refering to 'us and them', saying that he wasn't one of these 'humanists' like someone says they aren't one of those "democrats".
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

Thanks for the link to the comparison between humanist goal and libertarian goals. (10 years old yes but still relevant) From it I don't think that Libertarian author at least would object to being called a humanist. Mind you Libertarianism is so "out there" as a political philosophy I'm not sure if it is right wing or not. It may have gone so far to the right that it has met the left again somewhere between Communisim (in it's pure form such as Flabby Chick's kibbutz) and Anarchy. :wink:

Hey Roid: Read the posts will ya! Skimming is a sin on internet forums. :lol: