movie/doc: OutFoxed, Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

movie/doc: OutFoxed, Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism

Post by roid »

i had not heard anything about this doccumentary until i watched MediaWatch on TV last night, and heard the story about how NewsLimited's (Murdoch's company) many newspapers refused to show the full ad for this documentary. They would only agree to advertise it if it was nothing more than the title "outfoxed" with session times. they especially wern't allowed to say "Murdoch" in the ad ;), heh. *

you can watch the latest issue of mediawatch online, or read the transcrpts (incl ones of past shows) at their website. http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/

anyway, i went and saw OutFoxed early the very next day (that would be today). there was only 8 ppl in the cinema :cry:.

one thing i did notice was that it gave scant mention to the other 4 media conglomerates. it was only at the end that i actually heard them mention the very important inforamtion that most of the world's media is controlled by only 5 media companys, fox being one of those.
in otherwords, a theorist could accuse the other media outlets of having a hand in it's making. but that's just an idle thought, it's a GREAT documentary, a really good watch.

*i live in Brisbane, the 2 major local newspapers here (the Courier Mail, and the Sunday Mail) are BOTH owned by NewsLtd (as i stated earlier: Murdoch's company).
i got out the papers and looked up the very same truncated ads mentioned on mediawatch to get the session times :)

we don't watch Fox here. it may be on cable TV, but not many australians watch cable tv (i tried it for a few months, i don't think foxnews was even on it).
so i havn't really known what you guys were talking about when you were referring to Fox, until now...

:D my god, this Bill Oreilly fellow is a fruitcake, yes?

want link? google saves.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Wow. "I never watched Fox but after watching Outfoxed I have a clear understanding of Fox News and why it is evil." Translated: "I watched a decidedly anti-something movie, even though I knew absolutely zip about that something. Now I know everything there is to know about that something."

That is the most flawed logic possible. It's also exactly what the makers of the DVD want.

Outfoxed is as much of a "documentary" as Fahrenheit 9/11.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Have you seen Outfoxed, DCrazy?

I have seen Fox news channel and Outfoxed, and obviously its anti fox, but they basically made inferences that easily can be made just by watching Fox.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

No, Birds, I haven't. But at least you have watched Fox News. roid, by his own admission, has not.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

DC what on earth are you foaming about? I suggest you re-read my post, and settle down. the ONLY opiniated thing i said about Fox in my post was that Bill Oreilly fellow is a fruitcake. you have just read that, seen that this is an anti-SOMETHING documentary, and then detatched from reality there.

what fucked up baggage have YOU brought into this thread hmm?

to answer your question: I have on occasion seen excerpts of Fox News. This day and age, things just get around, worldwide. 'Global village' and all that. But i've never sat down to a "sitting" of Fox News before. It hasn't really left an impression on me other than they use a lot of graphics and treat news as entertainment, which doesn't really make them any different to any other news station.

watching for media bias, influence and interest is a habit of mine. i take offense to anyone blindly implying that i am nieve on things of this nature.
WHEN you go back and read my post you would note my suggested theory that the other competing news conglomerates would have something to gain from this documentary, since it doesn't seem to talk much about them at all.
i don't really think it's the case, but i added the point in as a little present anyway.

Wow. "I never watched Fox but after watching Outfoxed I have a clear understanding of Fox News and why it is evil." Translated: "I watched a decidedly anti-something movie, even though I knew absolutely zip about that something. Now I know everything there is to know about that something."

That is the most flawed logic possible. It's also exactly what the makers of the DVD want.
you're telling me! :D (did you actually read my post at all?). But i wouldn't go as far as saying you have the most flawed logic possible DC. It's just baggage you've brought in from elsewhere (where? i care not).
(ps: i watched it at a cinema, not on DVD. "session times" remember)

if you do decide to settle down however, there one thing i would like to know: Why are/were you so instantly defensive of the Murdoch empire?