Omega: Cheating or Not?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Is Using the Omega Cannon Cheating?

Cheating
14%
Extremely Cheap but Not Cheating
53%
Perfectly Legitimate
33%

Total votes: 51
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Omega: Cheating or Not?

Post by Suncho »

I'm morally against the Omega Cannon because 2 of the 4 bugs it has can be exploited.

1. People with capped framerates can use the Omega Cannon for a long period of time whereas it drains your energy in about a second if your framerate is uncapped. So basically some people can't use the Omega while others can.

2. There's a bug where, if you maneuver in a certain way while firing Omega, you can kill the opponent in one hit. If this were the only bug it would probably be acceptable (like the Fusion bug) but the fact remains that not everyone is even able to use the Omega cannon in the first place.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Everyone knows and doesn't care.
Since this and the full HUD bugs are such great moral issues to you, do your part by pestering KB to do something about it.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

The real question is this: Is flying around rolling like a crackhead and only missing about 10% of the time with MD cheating?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Skyalmian wrote:Everyone knows and doesn't care.
Since this and the full HUD bugs are such great moral issues to you, do your part by pestering KB to do something about it.
I didn't .. but I do NOW! :twisted:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I have on many ocassions knowingly exploited the Fusion bug by shooting before I had a full charge and had it pay off with two or more kills that I would not have gotten otherwise. Why would you not call that cheating? Because it takes skill, knoledge and experiance to exploit a bug as rare as the Fusion bug right?

On the other hand, the omega cannon is buggy in a different way, anyone with the knoledge and a low enough framerate to fire the omega long enough can figure out how to use that bug and get easy kills with it. It is just plain buggy, and most servers dont allow it. Not to many levels have the omega cannon in them, and few of those that do are any good, I just dismiss it. Most of the time people who would use the omega bug can't get close enough to my ship alive to exploit it anyway.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Both are already fixed in 1.5
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Krom wrote:I have on many ocassions knowingly exploited the Fusion bug by shooting before I had a full charge and had it pay off with two or more kills that I would not have gotten otherwise. Why would you not call that cheating? Because it takes skill, knoledge and experiance to exploit a bug as rare as the Fusion bug right?
Because the Fusion Bug is an equal-opportunity bug.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Suncho wrote:
Both are already fixed in 1.5
I know. That's lovely.
Now where the hell is it?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

If you let someone else get close enough to you for Omega to be an issue, then you're not much of a pilot, are you? :P
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

We don't need it as long as server ops ban the Omega. =)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

The omega has been basically worthless to me in game. It seems to have a shorter range than in D2. Not sure tho. That aside, I just don't like it and have never had much occation to use it. Really only a couple of times in solo.

btw, isn't the omega supposed to charge your shields? It doesn't seem to work for me.
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

Top Gun wrote:If you let someone else get close enough to you for Omega to be an issue, then you're not much of a pilot, are you? :P
Depends on who's chasing who. Beowulf, for example, is quite good at chasing pilots down with omega.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Phoenix + omega + low-framerate-cap + bug = easy chasedown + kill. Takes a lot of effort, but it can be done.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

If they're using it normally, then I see no problem with it. Only if someone where intentionaly using the bug would I consider it cheating.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

By definition it can't be a cheat.

It might be cheap. It might be an exploit.

But it's not a cheat.

It's just dumb coding.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

I'm morally against the Omega Cannon as well. I think we should start a foundation.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Gooberman wrote:I think we should start a foundation.
Good idea -- maybe Kevin would release 1.5 if we offer money.. :lol:
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Mobius wrote:By definition it can't be a cheat.

It might be cheap. It might be an exploit.

But it's not a cheat.

It's just dumb coding.
Please elaborate. Are you saying that it's not a cheat because it's possible?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Because it's not written in with that intent like the cheat codes we use in solo. AND It's not a hack.

...it's just bad code. ...which he said. :)

dang this is hard to say .. ..er.. drat.. Mobius is.. GAH!! He is right. *faint*

It is an exploit. A weakness in the code that can be used to players advantage. ..man .. I'm going to apply at Websters. ;)
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Suncho wrote:Both are already fixed in 1.5
1.5. Hahahahaha, thats a novel thought.

TOO BAD ITS FRIGGIN VAPORWARE!!

/vent
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Vaporware means it doesn't exist.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Duper wrote:Because it's not written in with that intent like the cheat codes we use in solo. AND It's not a hack.

dang this is hard to say .. ..er.. drat.. Mobius is.. GAH!! He is right. *faint*

It is an exploit. A weakness in the code that can be used to players advantage. ..man .. I'm going to apply at Websters. ;)
I could easily capture the flag of an enemy team without stepping foot in their base. I can do it without "hacking" anything. I'm exploiting a bug in the code. I would highly expect to be banned from the server for cheating.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Suncho wrote:Vaporware means it doesn't exist.
It doesn't to us. *looks around* I don't see a 1.5 patch anywhere.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Thing is, Suncho, the others (huds, weapons) can be changed. an OB snag is not something that can be turned off or disabled.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Thanks Duper.

I think I'm right at LEAST twice a year! ;)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

ya got in just under the wire. :wink:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Suncho wrote:
Duper wrote:Because it's not written in with that intent like the cheat codes we use in solo. AND It's not a hack.

I could easily capture the flag of an enemy team without stepping foot in their base. I can do it without "hacking" anything. I'm exploiting a bug in the code. I would highly expect to be banned from the server for cheating.
I know that trick, hours of laughs in a WA2 game! People also laugh when I respawn with Fusion or a 4 pack of Frags. ;) :D
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Testiculese wrote:Thing is, Suncho, the others (huds, weapons) can be changed. an OB snag is not something that can be turned off or disabled.
Hypothetical situation: If observer mode could be disabled, would OB snagging be cheating anymore?
twolvesfan
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by twolvesfan »

I think the omega is a legitimate weapon because it has a short range. You have to get really close and it sometimes works as defense to help you from getting spawn killed. The only level I could think of being in is kata12. Most levels dont even use the weapon.

i have a newbie question:
whats the difference in game play if you have your fps locked at like 60 compared to uncapped frames? is there any difference in game play?
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Suncho, its a game. Let it go. If you think that it is "morally wrong" then you are screwed up. :roll:
...as posted from another thread.

Better yet, get a GF. Or a life. Or both. Because calling certain parts of a GAME "morally wrong" means you have no life.

And I thought you were done with Descent 3?
US_Paratrooper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by US_Paratrooper »

OMEGA BUG!?!?!? Who gives a crap? Why dont we just talk about all the useless D3 Weapons....THE EMD HAS A BUG, ITS CALLED THE "I CANT HIT ANYONE WITH AN EMD BUG"...jeez whats next?
twolvesfan
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by twolvesfan »

i would have to agree with emd being useless... the only level that emd works kinda in is half pipe or levels with long hall ways but its still uselesss cause it does like 3 damage heh :D plasma and lasers are wayy better
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Top Wop wrote:And I thought you were done with Descent 3?
At least I didn't post a "Goodbye everyone" post on the DBB. ;)
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

twolvesfan wrote:I think the omega is a legitimate weapon because it has a short range. You have to get really close and it sometimes works as defense to help you from getting spawn killed. The only level I could think of being in is kata12. Most levels dont even use the weapon.
Pyroglyphic.

It's not very easy to run away from Omega if you're in a tank against a phoenix. It's basically a one-hit kill undodgeable weapon. At least you can dodge triple fusion.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Suncho wrote:
Testiculese wrote:Thing is, Suncho, the others (huds, weapons) can be changed. an OB snag is not something that can be turned off or disabled.
Hypothetical situation: If observer mode could be disabled, would OB snagging be cheating anymore?
No. It would be the serverop's responsibility to disable it. Otherwise, it would be a generally crappy game, no one would play there, and the serverop would probably be told about it, ad would disable it henceforth. Or not. Up to them.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

ya know, the D2 Omega cannon has a simular problem. Have you ever seen it fired at 300 fps? O_o ...not a pretty sight.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I've never used Omega but twice, once in '97 when I first found it in the D2 SP missions, and once in '99 when I picked it up in D3's SP mission. I think, or maybe it was a MP game, not sure. Both cases, I disabled it immediately.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Maybe I'm the only person that doesn't know, but at this stage I really am curious.

1) How do you do the fusion bug?

2) What was the trick to doing that afterburner bug that people used to do in v 1.0?

The only kind of cool thing I ever found was that timing a missile with a fusion blast into a wall caused the missile to richochet.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Fusion bug, its all about colisions between ships.

The afterburner bug is easy, assign two keys to the afterburner and press em both.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

umm i think omega means the end in greek so maybe its supposed to be the cheapest easiet weapon to use i dunno just casting another line... :-P