"My day wasn't so bad after all..."

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Viralphrame
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

"My day wasn't so bad after all..."

Post by Viralphrame »

I liked my car alot. It looked halfway decent (rice, http://www.sonicstrike.net/users/viral/civ_1.jpg <- example), and it got me to work/school and back. Yay. Life was good.

So I'm driving home from a friend's house on the 30th, and pretty darn quickly after pulling out of his street, it sounds like I'm dragging tin cans. (Which, by the way, I wasn't.)

I pull over and pop the hood, oil is splattered over everything and there's a nice big, pitch-black pool of it raining onto the street under the car. It's pretty late so I park it and walk home.

Next day (31st), I tow it home and finally get to see what the damage was.

http://www.sonicstrike.net/users/viral/IMAG0060.jpg - One
http://www.sonicstrike.net/users/viral/IMAG0061.JPG - Two
http://www.sonicstrike.net/users/viral/IMAG0063.jpg - Three

It was a little 1.5 liter economy engine with around 220k miles on it, throwing a rod at 2 AM in the morning. Quite exciting, actually, got to wake the parents to tell them that my car had blown up. :P If you stick your finger in the hole, you can actually move the broken rod up and down a little, which is pretty funny in itself.

Luckily, I have another car. Awesome. If this had been my only mode of transportation, I'd have been mighty pissed since this kind of ★■◆● isn't the thing you can take to the shop over the weekend. (duh) :P

It's late now, and I need sleep. :lol:
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

That sucks.

What year is your honda?
Viralphrame
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Viralphrame »

Unix wrote:That sucks.

What year is your honda?
It's a 1994 Honda Civic DX coupe.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

So passeth "teh car" RIP.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

did you edit it from "My dad wasn't so bad after all..." or is my dyslexia acting up?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

So when was the last time you checked the oil?
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

220,000 miles is pretty impressive. I'd say it was about due.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

woodchip wrote:So when was the last time you checked the oil?
x2

It takes more than just 220.000 miles for a 1.5 liter four-banger to throw a rod..

Nice experience though. There's some videoclips around on the net (I believe I posted them here at some point) showing kids turbocharging a block and upping the boost till the block threw a rod (or all four at the same time :P). At like 20lbs of boost or something. :roll:
Viralphrame
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Viralphrame »

Tricord wrote:
woodchip wrote:So when was the last time you checked the oil?
x2

It takes more than just 220.000 miles for a 1.5 liter four-banger to throw a rod..

Nice experience though. There's some videoclips around on the net (I believe I posted them here at some point) showing kids turbocharging a block and upping the boost till the block threw a rod (or all four at the same time :P). At like 20lbs of boost or something. :roll:
Is it that BMW one? Yeah, I've seen it, there was metal parts melted into each other inside the cylinder. :lol: If it's not, I'll need to check it out anyway. :o

Anyway, I went to get the oil changed awhile ago, but their entire bay lost power and I hadnt had the money or time to do it lately after that.. ah well. Once again, thankful I have two cars once again. :P And, like I said, the oil was as black ay my car, so most likely it could be contributed to that. *shrug*
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

Actually, Honda's are notorious for week rods and wrist-pins. It is the weakest part of the bottom end and quite possibly the whole motor.

B-
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

As soon as I saw that picture, i thought "Threw a rod" ... and indeed I thought correctly.

Time for a new engine, or a new car, since it would probably be cheaper.
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

JB Weld :lol:
Sickone
MIA Host/Admin
MIA Host/Admin

Post by Sickone »

actually honda's are known for going much much longer.
IF YOU CHANGE THE FRICKEN OIL - at least keep it topped off so it isn't low.

Hell I had 240k on mine, and I beat that thing every inch of that 240k... the person I sold it to is still loven it and driven it
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Sickone wrote: the person I sold it to is still loven it and driven it
Sounds like the "tail" pipes are just the right size.
:P
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

Weak..
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I had an Accord 4 cylinder that had nearly 300,000 miles on it when I sold it and it was still kicking.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

My Mazda 626 has 295,000, and it still purrs, since I've made sure to get regular oil changes, and I don't drive it too hard. I plan on keeping it at least until 300,000 or more (although that should be just a few months).

On the other hand, I didn't maintain my last car (a '74 260Z) very well, and drove it hard, so it didn't last me beyond 165,000.
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

I had an '89 Accord that when I bought (for $1,000) it had 200,000 miles on it and when I sold it (for $1,200) it had 315,000 miles on it.

I love Honda's and whoever made the comment about the oil is absolutly right. The only problems I ever had with my Honda were seals getting old. But replacing seals isn't that difficult.