Anyone know where I can find a molex to USB adaptor?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Anyone know where I can find a molex to USB adaptor?

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Ok, I bought a 6" duel cold cathode light kit figuring I would use it as overhead lighting for my keyboard and as lighting for the interior of my desk compartment where I keep my CD's and such. It is a nice little UV lamp that will hopefully light up the white lettering on my black keyboard. Basically the light kit is as follows: http://www.flexiglowhk.com/website_file ... nchKit.jpg

The only thing different is it has a 12 Volt inverter with some sort of sound mechanism which is supposed to cause the light to pulse to music (I think). It also has a jam nut switch harness. Apparently this is intended to be inside your case but I have other plans. From what I can tell, what I need to do is plug my cold cathode light into the jam nut switch harness and somehow plug the molex adaptors somehow to a USB cable. Any idea as to where I could find a molex to USB adaptor?

Or would there be another way to rig something like this? I don't want it to pulse. Just provide some nice lighting.

Heh, would be simple to rig it to my car. Apparently you can attatch these lights to a cigeret lighter and I could attatch the lights themselves to the floor panels. However, I think I would rather have them in my puter :)
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Wont work. The kit requires 12 volts, your USB ports only supply 5volts and at very low miliamps.

You could look at going to a ac-dv power block that provided a minimum of 12 volts @ 350ma. Then you could make things work. The power block could be available at any place, wallmart, target, radioshack etc..

You'd have to do some splicing but it's pretty easy. If you want the sound module removed, just remove it, looks like it is on quick disconnects anyway. Plug the molex section into the inverter section
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I see, thanks for the help Stress. I was a little controversial over using a USB port but I figured, since it is just a light.... my mousepad that lights up runs fine on a USB port.

Anyway, I'll look into it.

What is an ac-dv power block exactly btw?

I've spliced before and it is pretty easy stuff. Just need to know what I'm looking at first.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

it's that heavy plug you use for everything lowvoltage in your house, like your cell phone charger, the power plug for your cordless phone etc. You just need to get one with 12 volts @ 350ma + as the output.

this one
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Actually Kevin, if you feel like doing a little soldering, you can run extend that cable so it will run out of the back of your case (just run it through the center of any of the fan vents), which would solve your problem right there.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Yeah, why bother with the whole USB bit? Extending the wires would have to be easier.