Mockingbird - My first d3 map

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

MORG
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Mockingbird - My first d3 map

Post by MORG »

Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Looks very interesting. I opened up the .d3l--it looks well-thought-out, and it's pretty well-made. I do, however, have some quibbles:

1. There are quite a few excess polys. Try to delete any non-shell faces that will never be seen--it's that many more faces that you'll have to put elsewhere to make the level look better.

2. The texture scheme is a bit incongruous. I can see textures from at least 4 different schemes in there. Try matching up all the textures of one type, then adding any special textures you want, such as water or glass. textures that work well together often start with the same letter sequence, such as P-cov-texturename.

Other than that, it looks pretty large, with quite a nice amount of connectivity. 3 Mass Drivers and 2 ammo packs may be a bit overkill, though. You don't want your level to become the next VV.

Excellent work; a bit of tweaking and it'll be a great map! Definitely WAY better than my first map. :P
MORG
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by MORG »

Thanks. I didn't really have much time to work on it as the map was nearing it's end so I did a few things that I know should have been done better. It was either spend the time to combine faces and delete unneeded ones (btw, why would it matter if the map had faces that are never rendered? If they are never seen, the comp doesn't have to work any harder to render whatever room it is).
But anyway, I spent some time doing the spew for the steam at the water pipes and the energy room...took me awhile to figure out how to script the spew right and what type of object to use 'n whatnot...anyway thanks for the info :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Nice work Morg.

Faces that are not seen but are in the same room are indeed rendered and takes up frames. ..of course, that isn't really an issue these days. That would be the only real down side.

Extra walls and verts and stuff are really common when you're first starting out. Don't sweat it. :)