FAHRENHEIT 360 - SOON!

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Trackball
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

FAHRENHEIT 360 - SOON!

Post by Trackball »

The first edition of the Fahrenheit 360 project is nearing completion. This lengthy document demands recognition for the numerous advancements made by the now ignored Descent franchise. Every interview that was posted in the previous thread is slowly being added to a web based compendium on my site. I made good use out of your submissions and I'd like to thank you all again.

Long live Descent! :D
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Wow...I'd almost forgotten about this. Nicely done; I'm eagerly awaiting the finished product. :D
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

Nice!
Can't wait to see the finished site!
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

Crap! I just remembered that I forgot to submit my interview. You still taking submissions? :P
Trackball
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Trackball »

Liquid Fire wrote:Crap! I just remembered that I forgot to submit my interview. You still taking submissions? :P
I need all the content I can get.
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

Ok, here it is. Kind of ironic, seeing as I was the first one to offer an interview :P
When did you first play Descent?
Descent was the first computer game I ever played, in addition to mechwarrior 2. My dad bought it for me because he like the box art and he thought the idea of killing robots was better than the alternative, doom.
How do you think Descent compares to the games today?
Descent is like freespace. There may be other games that try to emulate it, but nothing comes close. Ever. Besides, with the endless groundpounders of today, most people don't feel like mustering up the skill required to pilot such a game.
Do you know anyone in your everyday environment that is still playing Descent?
I know one person who still plays it, and about half a dozen who have played it and liked it.
Have you ever tried to get a friend or colleague interested in the game? How did he/she react?
Of course! Once I even burned a copy of d3 to give to someone I only knew from a work relationship. Unfortunately, all my attempts have come up dry, as there aren't any new descent players in my corner of the world.
What do you think the biggest flaw of the Descent franchise is?
I've got to say, the graphics are not up to par with the games of today. It also lacks the features most modern games enjoy. Everyone shys away from playing an old game, even a game that required a veritable supercomputer by the standards of the day.
Which installment do you think was the weakest? Why? (Not including Mercenary Expansion)
I believe they all have their merits, but descent3 never quite caught on with the general public. This was no fault of the actual game, it just wasn't advertised. So no one knew about it. However, most people I know have played either descent 1 or 2.
What are your general thoughts concerning Fahrenheit 360?
Great idea, just figure out a way to advertise on general gaming community boards, and you're golden.
Have you ever attended Descent LAN events? If so, describe the atmosphere and fun factor.
Unfortunately, no.
Have you ever played Forsaken? What was your impression?
Never played it.
What do you think keeps the remaining community around?
Several reasons. One: No other game has the freedom and gameplay of descent, and that is thrilling. Two: Few other gaming communities are as friendly to the noobs. Three: We've all played so many games and gone to so many lans that it's slowly turned into one big happy family. We all know each other. Our quirks and habits, even piloting skills. Leaving would be like moving out of a neighborhood where the only residents are your closest friends.
What do you think kept Descent from remaining popular?
Wasn't advertised, high learning curve. That's it.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

wtf is fahrenheit 360?
TheCope
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheCope »

Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

.!.. ..!.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Neo wrote:wtf is fahrenheit 360?
Im wondering that myself actually....
Inquisitor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Inquisitor »

Wow, my account still works!

I just read the one that we linked to in PD's news.

All in all, pretty decent piece, still some negativity, but largely a cool historical review and alot of good stuff. I liked it. I might drop the "Tribes" entry as an overlooked game, it wasn't all that overlooked ;)

I also just read this: http://home.earthlink.net/~hendricks_clan/descent.html

Also a nice piece on a game we all love.

Cool stuff. I like seeing CONSTRUCTIVE things like this. Made me want to play.