Need advice on small office networking for a growing company

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Need advice on small office networking for a growing company

Post by WarAdvocat »

We've been using windows file and printer sharing up to now under WinXP PRO. The basic setup is a file server and workstations on a 16 port 10/100 switch, with printers on several of the workstations.

Recently we've added some workstations to the network, and have run into a problem, as WinXP is now enforcing a limit of 10 connections to the server. This started being a problem some time back with laptops, but now that we have actual workstations it's getting to be an outright headache. I understand that the connection limit via TCP/IP is much more generous, for example.

It's time to make some changes.

Unfortunately, I may know just enough to get myself in trouble. I'd like to avoid more than reconfiguring the network and software and storage upgrades to the server if possible. On the other hand, it's a PIII 733 MHZ machine, so maybe it's getting a tad long in the tooth. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe some short-term ideas and some longer term solutions with headroom?
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Get a Network Attached Storage box like a Snap server. That should relieve the workstations of file serving duties. For the printers, get some stand alone network print server's. This should relieve workstations of print serving duties.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Currently the biggest issue is the 10-connection limit.

We have a stand-alone machine operating as a file server. The printers are capable of operating as stand-alone network printers, but the boss fancies himself quite the tech guy so I let him set things up as much as possible, and only fix what's horribly broken.

Unfortunately, these issues need to be resolved, so I'm going to step up and do it right, or at least give proper recommendations.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Your file server is running XP, right? XP Pro has a connection limit that I don't think can be worked around. You'll need to either get a server OS on the file server with the appropriate number of client licences, or go with a NAS device.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

It boils down to Microsoft wanting your money.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

There are utilities out there where you can raise the limit for the number of connections. I forgot what its called and im not sure if its related to the problem you are having, but ill tell you when I find it the name for the utility that may help you.

Ok, its called XP AntiSpy and in the drop down menu you have extra utilities that will help you raise the number of connections beyond 10. Let us know how it goes.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re: Need advice on small office networking for a growing com

Post by WarAdvocat »

WarAdvocat wrote:Recently we've added some workstations to the network, and have run into a problem, as WinXP is now enforcing a limit of 10 connections to the server.
Ok some good answers to the question of the short term, by raising the limit of file and printer sharing connections allowed. What is the 'legitimate' way to do this? Sooner or later we're going to have to do this. Probably sooner. Buying some sort of server OS? Or some sort of upgrade? additional licenses? Hiring a consultant to do it for us? How do the big companies do it?
WarAdvocat wrote:I understand that the connection limit via TCP/IP is much more generous, for example.
Is that the answer to the long term? Some sort of TCP/IP based solution?

Where do I go to find out more?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

if its just files being served, and nothing of that fancy active directory stuff, a linux server running samba(or CIFS, your choice) would do readily.

either way, you need to install a new OS somewhere.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Although I havent tried all the new features, I hear samba does alot more then just file sharing nowadays.

In my most recent job, we were actually using samba as our PDC. And that was a very outdated version. I hear samba can now do a BDC just as well.
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

yea, samba is the best way for a small business - it has unlimited connections. The limit is based on your hardware linits. You can download mandrake linux for free and use the webmin utillity to create the share, it works great and its easy.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Thanks guys. It looks like Windows Server 2003 & purpose built file-server is going to be the answer for us here. I just got done talking to the rep from our estimating software supplier and he broke the bad news to me :(.

On the bright side, it looks like I'll have more power at my fingertips! WHOOHOO!
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Now the question is, Will you use Active Directory or not. I'd suggest you do and create accounts for everyone and this will limit what they can do.
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

Wouldn't switching the file and print sharing over to NWlink ipx/spx cure this? It's pretty simple to do and if nothing else it would make it more secure.

Hot to set up IPX/SPX You should read the whole article.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

...You're suggesting reverting to a reverse-engineered version of the IPX protocol instead of using the NetBIOS/Active Directory system that comes standard with Windows Server 2003? You do know there's a reason Novell ditched IPX...

Hell, have you ever heard of LDAP?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Why you still using IPX with Novell since it can do TCP from Version 5 on or is it 6?
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Given that I have no idea what I will be getting into with Windows Server 2003, would I be better off taking some kind of course or are there some web-based or printed resources that will get me up to speed with relative quickness?

Ideally, can I trick the company into getting me the education to demand more pay?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Xciter, where do you work that you still need DOS based clients?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

ahh ok, here where I work we use CD's to image the PC and then use SMS to push the software packages.