Katrina

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Katrina

Post by Flabby Chick »

Just been reading up on what would happen at New Orleans if a big hurricane would hit (i think i did the same last year). Not good guys, not good. It looks like it's spot on.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml

Anyone in the vicinity here?
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

I'm in south Mississippi, about 100 miles inland, and we've been in the predicted path of a few hurricanes lately, but have been visited only by their fringes.

Tornados are another thing, though. My town was hit last April and one touched down about a half mile from my house, uprooting trees and snapping telephone poles in two. It hit the local school, but no one was injured.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs. ... 5504070372
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

Well I'll be dam....my homestate. Hey De Riguer, I was raised in a small town outside Tupelo...Amory to be exact. And actually it was more like the Bigbee
Bottem since I lived and worked on farmland owned by the Wayne Hamilton Family.
Brings back memories.....hope my famo' makes it thru alright :(

err...Go Golden Eagles!(although I'm really a Rebels fan :wink: ).
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

I'm in New Orleans.... after what the last couple of storms did here, I'm not thrilled about this one. There's still trees and gas station canopies down from two months ago. I don't think we'd survive a direct hit.

Please pray for us. New Orleans is 90% below sea level. Tha last big hurricane that had a direct hit here was in the '60s, and people were without power and clean water for weeks.
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

FunkyStickman wrote:I'm in New Orleans.... after what the last couple of storms did here, I'm not thrilled about this one. There's still trees and gas station canopies down from two months ago. I don't think we'd survive a direct hit.Please pray for us. New Orleans is 90% below sea level. Tha last big hurricane that had a direct hit here was in the '60s, and people were without power and clean water for weeks.

In all seriousness, I'd suggest gettin' while the gettin's good....this is my prayer to you.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Best of luck to you. Keep yourself and your family safe, and get out of there if you can.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Bye-bye, oil.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Skyalmian wrote:Bye-bye, oil.
Who gives a **** about oil; it's the people who have to deal with this that you should be thinking of.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

"It's the people who have to deal with this that you should be thinking of."
I am. :(

If they're positive it's going to go there, they better stop twiddling their thumbs and tell everyone in N.O. to leave now.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

They did issue a voluntary evacuation in the last 24 hours.

Best of luck to everone down there.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Skyalmian wrote:If they're positive it's going to go there, they better stop twiddling their thumbs and tell everyone in N.O. to leave now.
You're absolutely right. I saw a special on Discovery recently about the levee improvements to New Orleans that were recently completed; they're designed to stand up to a Category 3 storm surge. There are plans for a more ambitious system that could supposedly hold up to Category 5 surges, but nothing's been done about it yet. Either way, the picture that the special presented of what would happen if New Orleans were hit directly was anything but pretty. Even worse is the fact that all the levees in the world can't do much against huge amounts of rain. If I lived anywhere near there, I would be at least a few hundred miles north by now.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I lived in Florida for 7 years. Hurricanes scared the hell out of me. Earth quakes were never that scary.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

nhc site wrote: A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE SOUTHEASTERN COAST OF
LOUISIANA EAST OF MORGAN CITY TO THE MOUTH OF THE PEARL RIVER...
INCLUDING METROPOLITAN NEW ORLEANS AND LAKE PONCHARTRAIN. A
HURRICANE WATCH MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN
THE WATCH AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN 36 HOURS.
If i saw that 'stickman; forcasted for where i live; and the potential crap involved with it, i'd be out like a shot. Good luck to you and yours sunshine, i hope it veers off somwhere else for ya. If you do up and pack to leave don't forget your Descent disks.
:P
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

We are planning on leaving, but the sorry state of the Interstate here leaves people gridlocked for 20 miles going west. The last bad hurricane that came through, we split for, but we had to use a very old seldom-used road, working our way through the swamps until we hooked up with I-49 from Houma to Lafayette. We wouldn't have made it out any other way. There were people *siting still* in their cars on the interstate for over 12 hours in some places.

Thank God I'm born and raised in the swamps and kow how to get out of dodge.
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

FunkyStickman wrote:We are planning on leaving, but the sorry state of the Interstate here leaves people gridlocked for 20 miles going west. The last bad hurricane that came through, we split for, but we had to use a very old seldom-used road, working our way through the swamps until we hooked up with I-49 from Houma to Lafayette. We wouldn't have made it out any other way. There were people *siting still* in their cars on the interstate for over 12 hours in some places.Thank God I'm born and raised in the swamps and know how to get out of dodge.
Can't ya' take Hwy 10 outta there? I would head east then north since I believe everyone is thinking West(avoid gridlock). I think you only have today (Sunday) left to get outta' there...Mondays wake-up call is apt to be extremely rude...Good luck my Descent friend.
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

Friend of mine has evacuated. Hope she/her stuff gets off clean.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Bloody hell it's upgraded to a 'five'.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

Looks like I'm in the middle of the projected path. Hope it weakens . . .
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

It won't. Get out.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Now would be a good time to flee.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Couver_
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Couver_ »

Man how did I miss this? I should be moving down there after Jan for a few years..
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

That's one hell of a storm. Here's hoping everyone battens down the hatches really, really tight.
Sirian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sirian »

Get out. Get the **** out of there, people. GET OUT NOW!

This witch looks like the perfect storm. :(

- Sirian
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

My God...this is unbelievably bad. Anyone even remotely near there, get the hell away. These pictures...this thing is a killer.
catch22
DBB LAN Nut
DBB LAN Nut

Post by catch22 »

I'm glad to hear no one here is stupid enough to stay.

This looks really really bad.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

There are people staying in N.O. They're the stubborn ones that say they can't leave (I remember a mention about 100,000 people not having transportation access) or will "ride it out".

Btw, is there a city (population around 3-7 million maybe) within Katrina's path that is sitting on a hill of sorts? Has rocky hills/mountains nearby. It's extremely important -- if there is, everyone in that city needs to leave immediately, since it's at risk of completely sliding into mud.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

My relatives lives in southwestern Louisiana so I'm rather glad that the eastern side is taking the worst of it.
The only reason these people hadn't bother to leave this morning is because they looked out their windows and see a clear sky...
A clear sky does not mean anything. These people should know better than to just linger around until the absolute danger arrives.
Someone mentioned that newstations are having trouble finding someone to go down there and make a live coverage on Katrina. At least these people are smart.

Do we still have any crazy reporters somewhere?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

At 165 mph winds, experts say tall high rise buildings may sway and even topple. There is also some concern all the people taking shelter in the local sports pavilian may not be safe. The local e-ways are now closed and traffic on the main exit routes are moving at a crawl. God help all those people that get caught up in the storm.
I got caught up in a 100 mph storm front here in michigan that blew apart a building I was framing in. Three fractured side process on my vertibrae and stitches in my arm from being slammed into the concrete deck. I can't imagine 165 mph winds.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

The fastest I've experienced is about 90 in the middle of a mountain pass, godspeed to everyone trying to leave and good luck to everybody trying to stay.... I would be out of there the day or two before the voluntary evacuations... what's the draw to stay later?

I was watching Fox and they had some people down there. Shepard Smith (I don't think I spelled that right) is one of them, in the French quater, and now he's stuck there and can't get out, so I guess there are some reporters crazy enough to do coverage...

I don't see how the superdome is going to be any safer than houses for 30,000 people (unless they're all homeless, visiting, etc), perhaps it's just an easy way to locate and cure people when they get hurt since they're all in the same place as opposed to spreading them all out. But I still don't know if I would voluntarily go into a huge bowl shaped structure right in the path of a hurricane.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

If you need to get out of a place fast, first rule is never use the popular routes. they'll be clogged up. Get a map, find a route through side streets that link up to a freeway at the next farthest point to where you need to be on the freeway.

What's your location Funkystickman?
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Those that "can't leave" New Orleans are banking on this?! for their survival? That's going to be an eternal graveyard for 100,000 people!
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

considering the Super Dome is a massive and mainly concrete structure, i would stay in that compared to some of the other places they consider for refuge.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I'm inclined to agree with Ace. The thing's built of solid concrete and reinforced steel, and I'd have to think that its relatively low profile and round sides would help to divert the main force of the winds around or above it. I'd certainly consider it safer than a row home at a time like this. Besides, what other choice do they have?
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

I'm about 125 miles north of New Orleans and it started raining a little while ago. Looks like we'll get hurricane winds here. I've got a storm shelter so I'm not concerned about safety, but it'll probably take a while to get utilities restored.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Holy Cow ... good luck Funky ...
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

this thing is gonna be all like
RARAARARAAAAAARAARAGRAARHARRGARHARHA (windy noises)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/ ... atrina.jpg
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Find your way to either highway 90, 61, or the 3127, in case you haven't left yet.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

That the Superdome is concrete isn't what bothers me. Take a good look at that picture of it again. The entire bottom of the structure is nothing but entrances and support columns. It'll fill with water like the rest of the city will.

This post sums it up best:
If the worst happens - and at this point it seems implausible that it won't - the bottom 2 stories will fill with water. Dirty nasty foul water full of chemicals and raw sewerage. Further the bathroom facilities are only expected to function for the first day.

So in rough terms, 40,000+ people will be trapped in a building with no plumbing, little light and no air conditioning. The temps after the storm rolls thru will probably be in the low 90s. Considerably hotter in the building.
Sirian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sirian »

The SuperDome is on a plot of land above sea level. It may flood a little but it won't drown. The French Quarter may in serious danger, though.