BACKING UP purchased DVD movies!

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Buck
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

BACKING UP purchased DVD movies!

Post by Buck »

Not sure if this topic is taboo or not. Getting a new computer with a DVD burner and would like to backup some of the DVDs I've purchased over the years. What's the most cost effective program?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Probably DVD shrink.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Grendel wrote:DVD Decrypter
x2
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Those are all expensive products. There are (to my knowledge) no free single-program solutions for this.

There is a nice free way to do it if you don't mind getting your hands dirty, and doing the individual processes yourself.

http://4sure.co.nz/downloads - grab all the files listed in the http://4sure.co.nz/downloads/DVD%20Rip% ... %20ME.html file.

Changes to the existing technique: download the .NET framework, and get the latest version of CladDVD. And find the 1.74 version of DVD2AVI. The 1.76 and 1.82 versions produce .D2V files which can not be read by VFAPIConverter.

Enjoy.

Props to Testiculese who created the ReadMe file, and the process. It's quite reliable.

I use DivX 6 to rip, in Multi-Pass mode (2 Pass), and the results, at 1.4GB per movie are excellent.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Mobius wrote:Those are all expensive products. There are (to my knowledge) no free single-program solutions for this.
DvD Decrypter is freeware.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

hey mobius...

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/software

find a price for dvd decryptor on that page.
Buck
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Buck »

Thanks folks, anything out there that does dual layer. I don't mind paying something for a program that has some bells and whistles :)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Buck, DVD Decrypter is what you want, it's free, rips and burns images, can handle dual layer disks and all. DVD shrink is handy if you want to shrink a 8 GB DVD movie to fit on a 4.7 GB single layer disk.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Mobius wrote:Those are all expensive products. There are (to my knowledge) no free single-program solutions for this.
Yo mega retard, DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter are FREEWARE. Use google you ★■◆●ing moron!

DVD Shrink
DVD Shrink website wrote:DVD Shrink is free software. You should never pay for DVD Shrink.
DVD Decrypter

Do you see a price tag there either?

Now SHUT THE HELL UP you idiot, and quit spouting your bull★■◆●. While you're at it, buy a ★■◆●ing clue!
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

DVD Shrink 3.2 does dual layer as well. You don't have to shrink anything when using this program, But you can if you need too.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Mobius you really need to clean the lint out of your bellybutton!!!

(free)

DVDshrink is the easiest Standard DVD copying program out there, it is almost Mobi proof

(free)

DVD Decrypter is the easiest Encrypted DVD copying program out there, it is almost Mobi proof too

DVDShrink is my primary application because of it's speed and ease. Only once in a blue moon do I come across a disk that requires me to fire up DVD Decrypter
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Another vote for DVD Shrink.
Buck
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Buck »

Thanks folks, I'll probably be back with more questions when I actually try to use the software.