XBox 360 is the Sh!t

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

XBox 360 is the Sh!t

Post by Nexus_One »

Got mine yesterday, glad I reserved it a year ago. Got Perfect Dark Zero and Project Gotham Racing 3. All I can say is wow. For those of you who know about the PC I recently built you know that I understand about top end gaming and the power involved. The 360 really is amazing, makes my PC look average, almost. I can't wait to see what developers can do with this system in a year or so, Halo 3 is going to be outstanding on this system.

The software and user interface is also top notch, very easy to use and easy to navigate through. I'm not sure the PS3 is going to beat the 360 in terms of user interface, graphics maybe, but I'll have to see.

Anyone else get it yet? Now I just need to get a wireless router and I can go on Live.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Too expensive for me, but I am impressed with the hardware coming out these days.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Waiting to get a new TV so I can put the Xbox next to an Ethernet jack. This will probably happen about the same time as a price drop on the 360 (around PS3 launch time) so it might be a possibility then.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Sirius wrote:Too expensive for me, but I am impressed with the hardware coming out these days.
With MS losing around USD127.00 on every machine, I'd call it cheap as chips.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

stfu, Mobius. We can't all afford a $400 system plus $60 games like you can. :P
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

MS is once again underselling everyone else to get market share to become the one and only compnay to make consoles and games. Anti-competative at it's best.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

CDN_Merlin wrote:MS is once again underselling everyone else to get market share to become the one and only compnay to make consoles and games. Anti-competative at it's best.
Or smartest move ever? They've forced a new type of competition and market strategy. Now you have to make a console that packs so much punch you can't sell it for full price and instead make money only on the games you sell. Like Mobius said, xbox360 is damn fine piece of work for the price, it's a pretty high bar for the PS3 and Nintendo's next gen thing to live up to plus they got it out ahead of them. That's tough competition.
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

Mobi is correct...
According to the company's report, the top-of-the-range, hard drive-equipped Xbox 360 costs Microsoft at least $525 in parts alone. That's already $126 more than the retail price...
http://www.theregister.com/2005/11/24/x ... breakdown/

And then....
...the launch is turning into a Thanksgiving Turkey for Microsoft, with widespread reports of instability, bugs and other glitches marring the $400 console.
http://www.theregister.com/2005/11/24/xbox360_bugs/

I dig that new updated BSOD M$ came up with!

heh
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

On www.xbox-scene.com, an online forum dedicated to Xbox gaming, nine members reported that they were having problems with their consoles.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 79,00.html

Nine out of how many? How many were sold so far? A percentage would be nice. It's prolly a component vendor QC problem anyway.

Let's hope that the PS3 starts off better, though I'm still not sure I'm gonnna buy one, considering how Sony treats their customers.

Anybody ever seen the movie "Brazil"?

wink-wink, nudge-nudge, say No MORE, 'eh?!
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

From CNN:

"...O'Donnell urged anyone with Xbox problems to call 1-800-4myXbox or go to www.xbox.com. If the problems can't be resolved immediately, Microsoft said it will pay to ship the console overnight to a repair center, overnight it back once it's fixed, or ship a replacement."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/fun.games/ ... index.html
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

LOL... Time for a "PWND" pic fest!

;)
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Hehe, I don't think it's "PWND", I think it's new and somethings will go wrong. I would take a look at this article, it sorts out the hype from the fact I think:

click
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

Maybe a dumb question, but can you use a mouse as a game controller on the 360?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

CDN_Merlin wrote:MS is once again underselling everyone else to get market share to become the one and only compnay to make consoles and games. Anti-competative at it's best.
What made you think sony wasn't losing money when the PS2 was released?
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Last time I checked having loss leaders isn't anticompetitive.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

fliptw wrote:
What made you think sony wasn't losing money when the PS2 was released?
anyone aware that every retailer has sold almost every console since the inception of consoles below their cost? (i think my current cost on the ps2 is 151.80 with an SRP of 149.99), and that there has been like 3 consoles released that were selling for more than the sum of its parts. (remember the 3DO? that thing costed my friends mom a mint)...

who cares, it plays games and you get to enjoy those games. they make money on selling the rights to media and their own software developement. i.e. don't worry microsoft will not go bankrupt from the release of the xbox 360 (anyone else hate that name? i mean, 360 degrees of box?)
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

fyrephlie wrote:anyone aware that every retailer has sold almost every console since the inception of consoles below their cost?
Wrong.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

The topic title is the opposite of what you're saying about the XBox 360, Nexus One. I agree with the title. I hate M$, and have for years. I wish they hadn't stepped into the video game industry, because for the longest time it was Sony and Nintendo.

There are several points made about the 360. M$ is just trying to become the ultimate company to sell everything video games, just like what it seems they've done with operating systems. It frickin' pisses me off.

Funny thing, though, is they are making the XBox 360 cost less in retail than it does in manufacturing is because M$ hopes to earn all their money on games.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

DCrazy wrote:
fyrephlie wrote:anyone aware that every retailer has sold almost every console since the inception of consoles below their cost?
Wrong.
/me was being sarcastic... i just read that on gord the other day ... (because someone posted that link here and i hadn't been there in forever.

i think sega biffed it... i think ms will survive, unfortunately.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

I saw the 360 last night...

It really wasn't that impressive. I've seen graphics like that on a PC with a good gfx card.

For $400, it's a great game playing machine to be sure...but you're still gonna be limited as to what you can install on the thing in terms of software.

I see it more as a "locked down" PC than as a game console.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

It's worth it to lay down the money just for:

Geometry Wars

Trust me.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

Suncho wrote:It's worth it to lay down the money just for:

Geometry Wars

Trust me.
thought it was a joke at first ... but damn that actually looks like fun.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Oh it is. It almost took over my life a couple weeks ago.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

like dance dance revolution seemed to do to so much of our youth for a while?
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

heh

I might get an X360 a year or two down the road...or when better titles come out, whichever comes first. ^_~

Who needs an XBOX 2 when XBOX 1 has games like Ninja Gaiden, The Matrix: Path of Neo, Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith, Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks, and Burnout Revenge? :)

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget Aeon Flux...my sweety. ^_^
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

Burlyman wrote:EDIT: Oh, and don't forget Aeon Flux...my sweety. ^_^

there's an aeon flux game for xbx?
Coolcat
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Coolcat »

how is aeon flux, an asset to the xbox, or any system. yay! for movie tie-in games made by majesco. *sarcasm*

as for xbox360..microsoft is more interested in getting access to your now internet connected (xbox live), living room tv. look for them to expand what you can buy via xbox live.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

yeah i stopped at target yesterday, was looking at the 360's and really thought about buying one. but then said, nah, i can wait for a while, lets see what happens with the ps3 and such. but then i went around the corner into the aisle and saw the accessory wall. OMG, there were like 20 peg hooks with xbox live subscription cards... turn your life over to microsoft for the greater good!
BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BigSlideHimself »

fyre, did you really see a stack of 360s sitting at Target? Must be the only place in the country that has them in stock. Anyone else?
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

they had 4 sitting in the case, for some reason this target by me always has stuff that everyone else is sold out of, although a friend of mine was telling me that he saw a couple units left at a target up north of me too.

i live in a northern suburb of minneapolis and the target was very recently bult here, so my guess is that their order allocations are not quite the same as other targets, and they definately don't have the customer base.

i am sort of kicking myself now cause i could have bought it and thrown it up on ebay and made a couple bucks, but oh well.
Zetal
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zetal »

[sarcasm]I've thought about buying a bunch of XBox 360s and pawning them off to people in town. Then I don't lose any money over it and Microsoft continues to lose money with my help.[/sarcasm] :P:P

There is one thing about Microsoft that really doesn't make sense to me. Why did they jump in on the console scene to monopolize it and make it popular? Console and PC gaming seem to fight each other all the time. ...and if anything, console gaming is the one thing that hurts the high-end computer market. So why is Microsoft working to lose money through their game systems and lower the demand by gamers for their software for PCs? I know with Vista, they are planning to advertise it as a gaming OS but that's not going to do much for them I think.

I was searching for some information and this is what I got for my first search result:

I didn't want to read it, but it just sounded funny.

Now here's something for the PC gamer out there. If you are smart enough, you just set up an Emulator for the consoles out there. I know many people who have put together XBox emulators (since they are only modified computers). The great thing is it runs faster too... ...and even if you want the controller and that's the reason you won't do it, you can just get a USB one:

Oh, and don't forget stuff like this.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Zetal wrote:
There is one thing about Microsoft that really doesn't make sense to me. Why did they jump in on the console scene to monopolize it and make it popular? Console and PC gaming seem to fight each other all the time. ...and if anything, console gaming is the one thing that hurts the high-end computer market. So why is Microsoft working to lose money through their game systems and lower the demand by gamers for their software for PCs?
Fixed revenue from console sales and Xbox Live. They are slowly moving away from being a software company to a services company - they are having problems convincing the corporate would about buying their new products regularly(like every two years).

Lots of places are still running office and windows 2K, and MS didn't offer a good incentive to upgrade past that(essentially a yearly fee).

So, they needed something to guarntee yearly revenue, and they hope its your living room.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Duper wrote:LOL... Time for a "PWND" pic fest!

;)
lmao

Really guys, who needs Xbox 360 when you've got Halo? I would pay the 200 or whatever just for that one game. The other night I went to a friends house and we hooked up 3 Xbox's and had a hilarious saugefest with 12 people playing Halo.

Eventually you get content with what you have. I don't need any more games to have fun, especially not for 400.
Zetal
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zetal »

I still don't understand why they tried it again after the XBox... But I guess it is all about XBox Live.