Donations and Post Count adder

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

re: post count bump.
Perhaps less bump per amount donated might be more fair to those who have put in more time / trouble / posts over the years, although a donation should be looked at as an indicator of the amount a member feels they have benefited from the DBB and wishes to give back.
Some contribute posts and some contribute support and posts. It could be expected that those who have been with the DBB the longest would also be those who would donate the most, since they have perhaps benefited the most from the DBB existence.

KB, this is what I meant about not showing how much one has donated. Now some will think that the amount of the donation was linked to a desire to have an increased rank that some will believe "undeserved".
Although why anyone would be concerned is puzzling as the increase in rank has occurred because of a person's "increase in participation". Some may still complain about others "buying" their way up. Perhaps they'll be inspired to "outdo" the "upstarts". Personally, I don't feel that the AMOUNT of a donation matters as much as that the donation was made at all.
Perhaps a special color for the donor's rank or an icon in their public profile page would be subtler.
I applaud your desire to reward and acknowledge those who donate but the reward is diminished by being perceived as undeserved.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Jakee, has anyone ever said to you that it is not the gift but the thought that counts? Depending on financial situations the 5.00 donation may be more of a strain than a 50.00 donation. KB is doing this for transparency so all can see what the total amounts are.
I don't believe people are giving money just to get a post count kick either.
whuppinboy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by whuppinboy »

i donated simply for the post count ;) seriously, ★■◆● anyone that thinks less of someone for contributing less than others. people donate what they feel they can afford because they want to, not for a post count bump or to look "cool" to others. go dbb go!
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

I can always post the amount donated only, once the script is running correctly users can view a page of donations.

Also I plan on add a title (DBB Benefactor)/color and small image for donators.

All I have to do is remember which donation goes to which username, at least until I can get the script to write the donations to the database.

KB
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Added CAD - Canadian exchange rates and looking at adding AUD.

I based the exchange rates from http://www.x-rates.com/
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

woodchip wrote:Jakee, has anyone ever said to you that it is not the gift but the thought that counts?
DID YOU FULLY READ WHAT I POSTED? I quote, "Personally, I don't feel that the AMOUNT of a donation matters as much as that the donation was made at all." gee sounds just like what you asked me to think about.

I was commenting on what Snoopy wrote and my dismay that the "thank you" for donating was, to me, disproportionate. For some reason you chose to take what i was saying as a negative and procede to lecture me about it. try reading the post without any preconceived notions about me or the subject or your own ability to comprehend what is being said.

Having had other personal comments made or inferred about me leads me to make MY lecture to some posters on the DBB:
In the short time I have been a member, i have had a large number of replies to what i have said contain ad hominem (look it up) attacks. truly the sign of those with no real understanding of what was said or a self righteous sense of superiority is to make an argument against what someone has said by attacking the individual that has said it or to sneer at what was said as being something "everybody knows THAT!".

NO ONE here knows me, who i am or what i am about. HOW DARE YOU make judgements about me and procede to make condescending remarks to ME based upon a post i have made. Attack or argue about WHAT i said DO NOT PRESUME to lecture or condemn me because of YOUR prejudices. If it weren't for the potential for information from some forums, I'd just forget this place. With few exceptions I haven't felt this UNWELCOME since i had to move to a new school when i was 10.
I've tried to keep from responding to these comments/sneers because I knew it would serve no purpose, change no attitudes or make me feel any better. (in fact i'd guess that the replies to this will be provocative to say the least) This was the last straw. Nothing personal Woodchip except what i said directly to you at the top of this.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

jakee: i don't think you need to worry about woodchip. i get the impression no one else does. :)

and you don't need to feel unwelcome, i think that when you come to a forum filled with 'old skool'rs' like this, that can easily happen. most of the guys here are old codgers who have been talking to each other so long, they often forget there is someone else here. it's like sitting in the t.v. room at the old folks home, listening to old guys sneer and jeer at anything and everything. take it with a grain of salt, and ignore it. there are grammar nazis, and overly opinionated post skimmers, and guys who just flat out like to piss people off all over this board.

i can see that you obviously made a 'sizeable' donation, but i can't imagine that anyone would be saying that you 'bought your way up', and anyone that does would do so 'sarcastically', AND if they don't mean it that way... just tell them to STFU! (or don't someone else will jump all over them for you)

normally i wouldn't balk at a donation, but with christmas this year... i am trying to balance a lot of things. i threw $25 in the pot, and was surprized to see the postcount increase. i just want to make sure the dbb is improved and sticks around, and would have donated if all i got was a page with a picture of KB's butt and a 12Khz wav file of him singing 'Happy Birthday Mr. President' (actually, that might be kinda entertaining)

i understand what you mean about making sure those that have 'posted' to get their 'ranks' may feel erked by those, that donated if they didn't or couldn't, but keep in mind that the point of donating is to help the dbb. i myself don't think ranks really mean much, it's the community itself.

and remember.. just ignore woodchip. :D
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

So let me get this right, even tho I spent about 6 years of posting on this forum and actually did have one of the highest post counts, now I can just buy my way to the top of the post count list? Or someone else can since I can't really afford it? No offense but who's idea was it to tie in the post count with the donations? What good is the post counter if it isn't accurate? I don't like it one bit.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

oh my I made a bad mistake, I forgot that some people worry more about ranks than they do about good will.

I apologize to everyone for trying to give a little something to those that give to the DBB.

I really am not shocked though, I shouldn't have set the add post count feature. Forgive me for my transgressions.

If I am not mistaken this is why post counts were removed from normal view because some childish attitudes made issues of getting thier numbers higher.

I will remove all added post counts and I will remove that feature, I don't want the childish attitudes to negatively reflect on anyone other than themselves.

That said post count additions are removed and I will remove those little un-importatnt numbers.

Can we please keep this thread on track now ....

KB
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Gimme a break :P

Even if I did donate, if it boosted my postcount way up I would feel like I got a spam boost for nothing.

I remember when JMEaT was bragging about reaching 7000 posts and Xciter reset him to 7 posts, or when Mobius reached DBB master and made a post on it in the Cafe, then Xciter reset him to 5 posts. It was amusing because people didn't get post counts that high on this forum that often. :P
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

Krom: what is the point? who are you showing off to? 7 (yes 7 according to the profile) years of posting here and everyone knows who you are. are you really worried that your 'rank' changes people's opinions of you?

maybe kb should add 'join date' under avatars so that people can see how long people have actually been here... would that help?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Showing the joined date wouldn't do much good, because an old error in the database made a lot of peoples join dates 1969. I guess my point is post count was a way of telling how much someone contributed to the forum, not financial contributions but how much time people spent and how much they actually posted here. I think it takes away from people who spent days or months posting here because they like the place. And you are right, it's also for selfish reasons, I liked being the highest posting member without a custom title yet, I liked being #4 in total posts, I liked that I earned it gradually over years, is it so wrong to be selfish once in a while? :P

7 years? Jeez, I need to get a life. But it is not because I have been here for 7 years that everyone "knows me". It is because I have posted an average of 3.2 times per day for 7 years that everyone knows me.

ugh, this is just not my style.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

jakee308 wrote:
woodchip wrote:Jakee, has anyone ever said to you that it is not the gift but the thought that counts?
DID YOU FULLY READ WHAT I POSTED? I quote, "Personally, I don't feel that the AMOUNT of a donation matters as much as that the donation was made at all." gee sounds just like what you asked me to think about.
My apologies. I guess I got confused with the following as fyrephlie so aptly points out that I am on the verge of senility:

"although a donation should be looked at as an indicator of the amount a member feels they have benefited from the DBB and wishes to give back."

Oh fyrephile, most of the time I don't take myself seriously. :wink:
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

Krom wrote:I liked that I earned it gradually over years, is it so wrong to be selfish once in a while?
YES!!! :P

i wish my {DMC}fyrephlie login was still here... cause it would have had something like .00000000000000000001 posts per day. i lurked here soooo long ago, and made like 3 posts. lol

join date would still be a good idea, i know a bunch of folks look like they joined just prior to the wacky '70s, but it still shows how long they been around. :)

/offtrack rant and poke at Krom. :P

(p.s. i still love you Krom)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

*sigh* I give up. :P
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Off topic discussion split and moved to DBB Feedback forum.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

KoolBear wrote:oh my I made a bad mistake, I forgot that some people worry more about ranks than they do about good will.
It's not about worrying about ranks... it's about having the numbers actually represent what they say they are. If it says "number of posts", I don't want my number to be "number of posts, plus 3000 for a monetary donation, minus 35 because the admin thought it would be funny". (In both of the cases Krom brought up, Xciter restored the postcounts within a couple days.) If my wife decides to donate, would her postcount be boosted? If so, that wouldn't be a reward, that would be a punishment -- because she takes pride in her postcount being *low* (currently 603 -- she doesn't post unless she's got something good to say.)

And, think about this: if you're giving postcount away as a "reward", doesn't that make it sound like postcount is something people should strive for? Isn't it kind of cheezy that one person can post twice a day and make a donation, but not get any different recognition than someone else who spams 20 posts per day all year? I'd rather see "500 posts and 50 dollars donated" than "4000 posts" if the person actually did make 500 posts and donated 50 dollars.

IMO, donations and postcount shouldn't have anything to do with each other. If you want to recognize people for being donors, set up a special "donor" rank or icon or something. At the very least, bring up the idea with the rest of the staff and let us brainstorm and make suggestions...
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

nuff said :D Consider it done.

I honestly don't have time to worry about these issues at this time.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

12/19/05
This email confirms you have received a payment of $10.00 USD from whuppinboy
This email confirms that you have received a payment for $50.00 USD from SuperSheep
This email confirms that you have received a payment of $25.00 USD from woodchip
This email confirms that you have received a payment of $5.00 USD from DCrazy
This email confirms that you have received a payment of $25.00 USD from fyrephlie
This email confirms that you have received a payment of $50.00 USD from Grendel
This email confirms that you have received a payment of $5.00 USD from snoopy
This email confirms that you have received a payment of $60.00 USD from jakee308
12/20/05
This email confirms that you have received a payment of $30.00 USD from Vindicator

KB
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

EDITED - Thanks Lothar, I removed the names after updating the list KB
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Lothar wrote: At the very least, bring up the idea with the rest of the staff and let us brainstorm and make suggestions...
I did discuss this with everyone that showed up to the meeting.

AS I get the correct usernames for those that donated I will downcount htier post numbers and add the DBB Benefactor title
whuppinboy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by whuppinboy »

i'm bc, and btw, thanks for blowing my secret identity KB ;)

i really don't care about my post count or obtaining a special tag just because i donated. i could give a rip about any of that, i just wanted to donate cuz i like the dbb and want to help in some small way. give my customization to copsy as an early christmas present ;)

EDITED - Removed name after update - KB 12/20/05
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

i'm clocktower computers / fyrephlie... but i s'pose you figured that out already...
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

fyrephlie wrote:most of the guys here are old codgers who have been talking to each other so long, they often forget there is someone else here. it's like sitting in the t.v. room at the old folks home, listening to old guys sneer and jeer at anything and everything.
LOL. That is so true. And one of the reasons i'll be donating, when i get me arse in gear.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

This email confirms that you have received a payment of $30.00 USD from ML
Thats me.

Also, KS = DCrazy.

EDITED - Removed names after update KB 12/20/05
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

KoolBear wrote:
Lothar wrote: At the very least, bring up the idea with the rest of the staff and let us brainstorm and make suggestions...
I did discuss this with everyone that showed up to the meeting.
Allow me to suggest, for the future, that someone should take notes and post them in the mod forum so those of us who aren't able to attend can look over what was discussed.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Above info is correct. I'm not a fan of posting complete real names in this place tho.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

agree with grendel.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

(some of) you guys do realize that you were able to post on a bb free of charge for at least seven years before the donation scheme was instituted? and the donations will enable this BB to continue for years to come? That in itself should be the 'reward' given.

No one worries about being 'rewarded' when they donate to charity...
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Ferno wrote:No one worries about being 'rewarded' when they donate to charity...
I work at a museum.

Nobody worries about being rewarded when they make donations, because their reward is that they helped the museum. But we still put donors names on signs and plaques and such, and we still give donors special tours and feed them once in a while. It's nice to do something special for those who help you out. Don't feel like you have to bribe them or give them major hookups, but at least recognize them...
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Yes Lothar,

That's exactly what I thought I was doing.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Meh. I'm like #3 or #4 for alltime postcount and I didn't care that I got an extra 500 for donating, but I still did feel like my donation was immediately appreciated.

Though a fancy new server will make it feel even more appreciated. :)

[edit]OOH, shiny energy packet! :P[/edit]
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

lol @ DC yea it was either energy packets or shield orbs.

Actually I set up two tiers one for up to $49 and another for $50 and over but then I thought OH NO another reason for someone to ★■◆●. :D

DBB Supporter +shield orb
DBB Benfactor +energy power up

Oh well....

;)

KB
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Lothar wrote:Nobody worries about being rewarded when they make donations, because their reward is that they helped the museum. But we still put donors names on signs and plaques and such, and we still give donors special tours and feed them once in a while. It's nice to do something special for those who help you out. Don't feel like you have to bribe them or give them major hookups, but at least recognize them...
My point exactly.
whuppinboy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by whuppinboy »

'preciate it KB! :)
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Sheese, I am on a roll! I have made 2 DBB'rs happy today! That's a hoot! oop's but I wonder how many I managed to piss off ;)
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

omg i had just reached the dbb defender rank and now it says something else and omg where did my extra 3000 posts go i was a master for liek 10 minutes and wtf is with the energy packet, omg lame

:P
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

BOOO I WANT A SHEILD ORB!!!! :P
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

It should have been an extra life orb. Extra life orb = giving extra life to the DescentBB! :)
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

oops see make 1 happy and three unhappy ;) Life on the DBB for an admin :D