Ã

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Akula, you know what this dude is trying to say?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

No seriously, what the hell?
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

I have no Idea what you're saying

0_o
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

From the URL in his profile he is Russian, or from the Baltics area anyway. His KYBD is not configured for english chariter translation.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Babel Fish Translation of Flavius81's Message wrote:Looked FAQ, search introduced on the forum, but rules for some reason it did not find... :( Someone will give reference?
I still don't get it...
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

http://translation2.paralink.com/ translation of Flavius81's message wrote:Has looked FAQ, search has entered on a forum, and rules for some reason has not found... :(
Somebody will give the reference?
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

punisher wrote:Akula, you know what this dude is trying to say?
Akula is Russian. He can help, I reckon.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

punisher, I hate to tell you, but I am about as Russian as Jethro Bodine. I did study Slavic Linguistics in grad school though.

His post is in Russian, and if you want to see what it is supposed to look like, use character encoding Cyrillic (Windows-1251).

Stryker's translation is pretty close. Here's mine:

"Had a look at the FAQ, did a search of the forum, but for some reason did not find the rules... :(
Will somebody give the link?"

Flavius81, what rules are you referring to?
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

Maybe ask him in Russian?
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

akula65 wrote:punisher, I hate to tell you, but I am about as Russian as Jethro Bodine.
Oh man, that's funny. Sorry, I just assumed. Arent you the one who posted all the russian descent 3 LAN pics?
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I think he's looking for this: policies.htm
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

The most likely scenario is that he's a spambot... we've been getting dozens of Russian registrations over the past few weeks, and almost every one has a URL like free-guns-and-sex dot ru as its homepage.

He might be a legitimate Russian Descent player who's looking for the board rules... but would someone really come on to a clearly English-language board, search it for rules (and therefore be painfully aware that it's in English), and then post a Russian-language question? Seems awfully fishy to me.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Lothar, visit any technical support forum (or even #apache on Freenode) and you'll see an unbelievable number of foreigners trying to translate into bad English or completely ignoring our English-onlyness.

His homepage, http://www.narod.ru, is a legitimate website. One of the developers of X11R6 has an email address @narod.ru.

How did you guys see Cyrillic characters? I see Nordic characters (thorns, ashes, etc). I wish Unicode was invented back in the 80's...
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

punisher, actually, MidiV originally posted the link to the Russian LAN photos.

Cuda68-2, I posted in English for the same reason flavius81 posted in Russian (it's easier). There is no means built into the operating system (Win98 SE) to switch easily between character sets and keyboard layouts. I do own software developed by Fingertip Software ( http://www.cyrillic.com/ ) which will allow me to switch to several different Cyrillic keyboard layouts, but it isn't installed on the machine I am using at the moment. I will install it if necessary.

I think Ferno is correct, and I guessed that when I made the post, but I couldn't find the link either.

DCrazy, you need to use the character encoding set I indicated in my post above. In Netscape 7.2, you can switch to this character set using the following:

Click View, Character Encoding, More, East European, and click Cyrillic (Windows-1251).